Location: North Island, New Zealand
Surnames/tags: New_Zealand_Land_Wars Victoria_Cross New_Zealand_Maori_Wars
Recipients of the Victoria Cross (1860-1865)
During the New Zealand Wars (1860-1865) a total of fifteen Victoria Crosses were awarded in New Zealand for outstanding bravery and gallantry in battle. Major Charles Heaphy was the only member of the NZ forces to receive the V.C.
He was the first recipient of the V.C. to be a non-regular soldier.
Whilst many men deserved the highest bravery award, few received it but those that did most definitely deserved it.
Battle or Skirmish
|Name||Region||Date of Action|
|Gate Pā ||Tauranga||1864-04-29|
|Kaiapopo Pā ||Taranaki||1863-03-28|
|Poutoko Redoubt ||Taranaki||1863-10-03|
|Te Ranga ||Tauranga||1864-06-21|
The fifteen Victoria Cross recipients (N.Z. Wars)
For more detailed information for each recipient listed below i.e: name, rank, unit or service, place and date of act, London Gazette (date of award), follow this link: NZ Wars - Victoria Cross recipients.
N.B. Click on red names to link to a WikiTree profile; green names link to a Wikipedia page.
|DOWN||John Thornton||Ensign||57th Regiment||Poutoko Redoubt |
|HEAPHY||Charles||Major||Auckland Militia||Waiari, Mangapiko River|
|LUCAS||John||Col. Sgt.||40th Regiment||No.7 Redoubt, Te Arei|
|McKENNA||Edward||Col. Sgt.||65th Regiment||Camerontown |
|McNEILL||John Carstairs||Lieut.-Col.||107th Regiment||Ohaupo, King Country|
|MANLEY||William George Nicholas||Asst. Surgeon||Royal Artillery||Gate Pā |
|MITCHELL||Samuel||Capt. of Foretop||H.M.S. Harrier||Gate Pā |
|MURRAY||John||Sergeant||68th Regiment||Te Ranga |
|ODGERS||William||Seaman||H.M.S. Niger||Kaiapopo Pā |
|PICKARD||Arthur Frederick||Lieutenant||Royal Artillery||Rangiriri |
|RYAN||John||Lance-Corp.||65th Regiment||Camerontown |
|SHAW||Hugh||Captain||18th Regiment||West Coast, North Island|
|SMITH||Frederick Augustus||Captain||43rd Regiment||Te Ranga |
|STAGPOOLE||Dudley||Drummer||57th Regiment||Poutoko Redoubt |
|TEMPLE||William||Asst. Surgeon||Royal Artillery||Rangiriri |
- Of the 15 recipients of a V.C.:
- seven were born in Ireland;
- six were born in England;
- one was born in Scotland;
- and one was born in (British) India.
References / Links
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 ~ CAMERONTOWN, 7 Sep 1863 ~
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 ~ GATE PA, 29 Apr 1864 ~
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 ~ KAIAPOPO PA, 28 Mar 1860 ~
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 ~ POUTOKO REDOUBT, 3 Oct 1863 ~
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 ~ RANGIRIRI, 20 Nov 1863 ~
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 ~ TE RANGA, 21 Jun 1864 ~
- Fifteen V.C.'s won in The Māori Wars.
- Heroes of the Māori Wars.
- NZ Wars - Victoria Cross recipients.
- Awards to Imperial serviceman during the 2nd Māori War.
- Thank you for showing an interest in this page of 19th Century New Zealand history.
- Kevin J. Sands
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)