Location: Newark, New Castle County, Delaware
Surnames/tags: quakers delaware
Historic Newark Monthly / Kennett Monthly (1686 - 1828)
- 1686: founded by parent Philadelphia Quarterly
- 1760: renamed Kennett Monthly by Western Quarterly.
- Newark Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- 401 Phillips Avenue
- Newark, DE 19711
Newark Monthly Meeting
|Newark Union Friends Meeting House|
A Monthly Meeting (MM) at Newark, began between 1682 and 1684 in William Penn's Pennsylvania colony, now located in Delaware. Its first minutes date from 1686, and deal with Friends Meetings in northern Delaware: Newark Union, New Castle, Centre, and later Hockessin and Wilmington. Newark MM was set off from Chester Monthly Meeting, centered in Chester, Pennsylvania.
At first, Newark MM had two groups: New Castle; and Newark at Brandywine Hundred, New Castle. It was later referred to as Newark Union to differentiate it from the modern university town of Newark, Delaware. Its burial ground is near the Wilmington suburb of Carrcroft.
In 1687, a half acre was donated for the cemetery. "Being some already buryed in ye spot" - by Valentine Hollingsworth from his patent on Shelpat Creek, Brandywine Hundred in New Castle County, which he called Newworke (sometimes shown as New Ark, New Wark, or New Workea).
A picture (jpg) of Newark Union Friends Meeting House is online (The Descendants of Valentine Hollingsworth Sr Society).
- ↑ "Newark Monthly," (n.d.) Quaker Genealogy. thegenproject.com. Weblog.
- ↑ Richmond, J.F. (1997). Quaker meetings in Delaware. freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com.
- ↑ from a March 12, 2012 report
- ↑ Standing, 1982
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Standing, H. (2003, April 24). [Q-R] Newark-Kennett MM records: Concerning the query dated 04/23/2003 posted by Antoinette Waughtel Sorenson. archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Weblog.
- ↑ Standing, H. (2002, July 10). [Q-R] Carson - Delaware/Pennsylvania before 1775. archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Weblog.
- ↑ Standing, H. (2004, August 10). William Dickson. archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com. Weblog.
- ↑ Meek, J. (2008). New Castle Quaker meeting historical information. nc-chap.org.
- "Guide to the Index of Early Members of Newark Monthly Meeting of Friends Who Resided in the State of Delaware." documents.htracyhall.org. pdf. (2 pg unsourced, but interesting).
- History of New Castle County. www.nccpaa.org.
- Newark Monthly Meeting Marriages. Delaware Roots. www.delawareroots.org.
- Newark MM. westernquarterquakers.org.
- New Castle County, Delaware, Newark/Kennett Monthly Meeting records 1686 to 1692. USGenWeb. files.usgwarchives.net.
- Standing H.C. (1982). Quakers in Delaware in the Time of William Penn]. nc-chap.org. Web.
- Standing, H.C. (1982). Quakers in Delaware in the time of William Penn. PDF.
- Wikipedia: Old Kennett Meetinghouse
- Wikipedia: New Castle County, Delaware