Nisbet_of_Gunsgreen.jpg

Nisbet of Gunsgreen

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
Surname/tag: Nisbet
Profile manager: Jean Skar private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 300 times.
This profile is part of the Nisbet Name Study.

Nisbet of Gunsgreen

Gunsgreen

Gunsgreen House was built in 1753, and designed by John Adam for John Nisbet, a local merchant, and notorious smuggler.

Gunsgreen.
He lived there with his brother David, they were sons of David Nisbet and Alison Young. They also had a brother William. It appears that was the end of the male line.
Gunsgreen House CC by Mark Nesbitt.

Property and Owners

  • Gunsgreen was held by the Craw (or Auchencraw family) in the 17th century, and James Craw of Gunsgreen is on record at the end of that century
  • 1753 the house was built for John Nisbet and he lived there with his brother David
  • 1758 Instrument of Sasine by William, John and David Nisbet “the lands of Fleemingtoun, called Gunsgreen”
  • The lands had been sold to the Homes of Billie in 1764.
  • 1784 David Nisbet died
  • 1789 John Nisbit was declared bankrupt.
  • 1789 Alexander Robertson bought the house at auction and became its new owner.
  • 1794 will John Nisbet Gunsgreen NA PROB 11 1276
  • early 1800s sister of Alexander Robertson, Margaret who was married to George Home, Minister of Ayton parish, moved into Gunsgreen House.
  • 1830s sold by the Robertsons for £18,000, possibly to the Homes
  • 1836 George and Margaret's son, Abraham Home, moved into Gunsgreen House
  • 1866 it was owned by Dr Patrick Home of Gunsgreen and Windshiel but occupied by a J.G. Wood of Edinburgh
  • 1881 ceased being a family home in 1881 sold by a Miss Home to a James Gibson for £22,000
  • 1912 rented by a local fisherman, William Dougal, and his wife, Wilhelmina, who ran it as a boarding house
  • 1960s when it became the clubhouse of Eyemouth Golf Club
  • 1998 Gunsgreen stood empty and had been virtually abandoned. The Gunsgreen House Trust was established in the same year and leased the building restoring it to its former glory.

Research Notes

Sources





Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.