- Navigation: Nordic Project > Name Field Guidelines
This page contains a brief description for the use of Name fields on WikiTree profiles as they relate to the Nordic Project and its geographical Country teams and Early Scandinavia team. Source documents should always be used to determine what names are to be used. If you find your situation is not covered by existing guidelines, please contact someone from the Nordic Project's Leadership Team.
Use of WikiTree Name Fields Across the Nordic Countries
- Proper First Name: All given names should be placed in this field. e.g. Christiana Marie. Middle names are rarely used prior to the modern era in most countries. Please see the appropriate Country Guidelines for your specific situation.
- Preferred Name: This is the name that they would have called themselves, or were called by their family members. e.g. Christiana instead of Christiana Marie.
- Last Name At Birth: It is important to remember that Patronyms are considered a Last Name on WikiTree. In most cases, the Patronym should be placed in this field. Please see the appropriate Country Guidelines for your specific situation.
- Current Last Name: For modern profiles, this will be the married last name. It is also where you would place the most recent farm name. If your profile is for an emigrant outside a Nordic country, this field would also hold their adopted surname.
- Other Last Names: This field is often used to hold variant spellings of a last name. In addition, if the person used more than one farm name, this is the field that would hold any additional farm names used, separated by a comma. e.g. Fjell, Berg, Dal, etc. Note: If there are more than three, it is recommended they be placed in the Biography under a ===Other Farm Names Used=== section.
- Middle Name Field: This field can be used for By-names, actual middle names when appropriate, but in some cases this field would be left blank if middle names are not used during a specific time period.
- Name Fields for Swedish Profiles
- Swedish Name Laws Overview
- Family Names in Sweden
- Given Names in Sweden
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Missy Berryann, Nordic Project WikiTree, and Maggie Andersson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)