Navigation: Main Page > North Elmsley Township
North Elmsley Township
Surveyed in the early 1800s, settlement began in 1816. The Township of North Elmsley was established in 1838 in Leeds County and incorporated in 1850, after it became part of Lanark County. Today, it is part of the township of Drummond-North Elmsley.
The township was named for John Elmsley, the Chief Justice of Upper Canada between 1796 and 1802. He owned thousands of acres of land in Upper Canada and maintained residences in Quebec, York, and Newark.
Historic Villages and Hamlets
- Rideau Ferry
- Port Elmsley
- Pike Falls Station
- Beveridge Locks