All categories can be found here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Category:O'Brien_Name_Study
How to Join
Please post a comment to the right. If you have any questions, just ask. Thanks!
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about one surname and the variants of that name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. Please contact the project leader, add categories to your profiles, add your questions to the bulletin board, add details of your name research, etc.
- To find famous Obrien Profiles or add them from list below
- To add your own lines to the study
Meaning and Origin
This Surname has been changed often over time, although te original name spelling was Obriain. They were originally the clan of the Dalcassians, known as Ui Toirdealhaigh, both names identifying particular ancestors from whom they descended.
The most prominent of them was Brian Boru(941-1014) , who became High King of Ireland and fought a great war against Ireland's viking invaders.
Coat Of Arms
This Coat Of Arms is unusual because, apart from the lions rear-ends, they are identical with the royal arms of England. Originally, so it has been told the lions were all gold, but in the time of Henry VIII, the Obrien family were given a choice of altering or losing them.
The family decided to alter them to gold and silver being a mark of royalty.
- William Obrien(1852-1928. Irish nationalist, journalist,and social revolutionary
- George Obrien(1899-1985}American Actor from silent movies era and into the talkie era
- Kate Obrien(1897-1974, Irish novelist, and playeright
- Edna Obrien(1932) , Irish novelist and short story writer
- Fergal Obrien(1972(Irish professional snooker player
- Dara Obriain(1973), Irish comedian
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Name Studies WikiTree, Steph Meredith, and Michael Maranda. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
John [middle name?] O'Brien Born about 1827 [uncertain] in Doneraile, County Cork, Ireland Died 31 Jul 1919 in Tilden, Antelope, Nebraska, United States
If I am part of your tree then I'd like to join. Please look over my tree. Thanks.
Dianne K. Perry