Location: Basking Ridge, Somerset, New Jersey, United States
Surname/tag: Childs, New Jersey, Basking Ridge
The Olde Mill Inn’s history started in 1768 in a barn and grist mill. The original building was build by Samuel Lewis, in 1768. By 1777, his grandson, Richard Southard had bought the property. It was a good location on the route between New York and Philadelphia. It was close to Jockey Hollow, where the Continental Army wintered in 1779-1780. The barn was used to store provisions for the Continental Army which lead to that part of the current restaurant being named “The Grain Room” The property passed through several hands until 1929 when it was bought by William Childs. He restored and preserved the original exterior of the building and converted parts of the property to an exclusive restaurant. The Childs family established a chain of 107 restaurants and were the first in the United States to hire female waitresses. 
Profiles related to the Olde Mill Inn
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)