Surnames/tags: Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Ontario Team, part of the Canada Project.
Team Leader:Christine Daniels
Team Members: Laurie Cruthers | Mags Gaulden | Kathryn Hogan | Melissa McKay | David Hughey | Hannah Berney | Steve Maxted | Barry Sweetman | Christine Daniels | Ross Henderson | Ken McEvoy | Joe Patterson | Catherine Trewin | Amanda Arrowsmith | Jelena Eckstädt | Alexandra Carter | Robert Webb |Peggy Watkins | Nathan Albright | Amy Gilpin | Rae Santema | Nicole Duchesne | Culley Schweger Bell | Lawrence Bailey | Barbara Richards | John Goodwin | Robin Helstrom | John Campbell | Michael Schell | Bob Presley| Ron Raymer | Vickie Wilson | Anne Creighton| Deanna McHugh | Elgin Smith | Margaret Parker | Lisa Hems | Mike Mintz | Barbara Davis | Maggie Oyler | Kandita Post | B E Smith | Louise Anne Fairlie | Carol Swensen | Leonard Olson | Kelley Evans | Gilberte Renaud | Lisa Hilleli | Lynda (Hill) Toneri | Cody Johnson | Lorraine (Burley) Nagle | Tim Bahula | Bonnie (Price) Guadalupe | Anne (Seymour) Burnham
- to bring together WikiTreers with an interest in Ontario families to share resources and help with research
- to create and improve profiles of notable Ontarians
- to create Free Space pages for places, events and other topics of genealogical interest pertaining to Ontario
Ontario Free Space Pages
Several members have set up free space pages on various topics pertaining to Ontario. You are encouraged to add profiles or information to the existing pages or to set up new pages.
- Baldoon Settlement
- Downton, Wiltshire Emigrants
- Early Upper Canada Settlers (Pre-1800s)
- Holland Marsh Dutch Settlers
- Markham Berczy Settlers Project
- McCool Name Study - Townsend Ontario Line
- Peter Robinson Settlers
- Petworth Immigration Scheme
- Quakers in Ontario
- Raftsmen - Ottawa Valley
- Talbot Settlers
- Trinity College School
- Upper Canada in War of 1812
- Welland Canal
- York Region Settlers
Ontario Place Pages
- Arran-Elderslie, Ontario
- Edys Mills, Ontario
- Grand Bend, Ontario
- Lanark County One Place Study
- London, Ontario, Street Namesakes
- Lost Villages of Ontario
- Northern Bruce Peninsula, Ontario
- Ontario Community Namesakes
- Ottawa, Ontario
- Pain Court, Kent, Ontario
- Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
- Thessalon, Ontario
- Toronto Street Namesakes
- User Guide to Cochrane District
If you like writing bios and connecting people, dozens of interesting people’s profiles need your help. When you’ve finished, please update the person’s entry on the worksheet.
Ontario Location Fields
WikiTree’s Location Field Style Guide requires the use of place names used at whatever time period is covered by the profile ("use their conventions instead of ours" using the “names that people at the time used, even if they now no longer exist”). Here are a few tips regarding Ontario place names:
- Today’s Ontario was Province of Quebec from 1763-1791, Upper Canada from 1791-1841 and Canada West from 1841 until Confederation in 1867.
- Our Ontario ancestors were often unimaginative. A county, township and town can all carry the same name; for example, Waterloo (town), Waterloo (township), Waterloo (county). This is why it’s important to check census data to find out if the person profiled lived in a town or a township.
- In the 1990s and early 2000s, politicians decided to amalgamate various townships and towns and attached new names that many Ontarians don’t use. Unfortunately, FindAGrave uses these new designations and you’ll find many Ontario profiles with 19th-century folk living in Minden Hills, for example, rather than plain old Minden.
Please see Category: Ontario for useful information on categorization. Today’s Ontario was called Province of Québec from 1763-1791, Upper Canada from 1791-1841 and Canada West from 1841 until Confederation in 1867. The restructuring of location categories is mostly complete. If you have any questions, or find you need a category created, please get in touch with Amy Gilpin.
- Category:Ontario,_Cemeteries - Led by Ontario Team Member Christine Daniels
- Category: Ontario, Unsourced Profiles - Hundreds of profiles need sources, so if you like sourcing, please jump in!
- Automated:DD_Unconnected_List_CAN_ONT - Always work to be done here, too.
- Please feel free to add any unconnected notable or branch from Ontario to the Ontario section of the "Let others know what locations you are working on" page.
- Category: Ontario, Notables Main category with sub-categories (Ontario, Artists, etc.). Please use the sub-category. See the Notable_Ontarians work sheet for what needs to be done on Notables profiles.
Free Space Pages Attached to Categories
- Fenian Raids - with research tips
- Lieutenant Governors of Upper Canada
- Ontario Artists
- Ontario Athletes
- Ontario Authors This page lists authors with and without profiles (about 16 without)
- Ontario Musicians
- Ontario Performing Artists
- Ontario Premiers
- Premiers of Canada West
Please add to this list. Ontario Resources