The newly built Steamship Orient was the largest ship of this type ever built in Scotland at this time. The Orient left London on November 1 1879, then Gravesend on November 5 and finally Plymouth November 6, 1879. Under Captain Studdert she made the voyage to the South Australian colony in about 40 days, arriving on the 15th of December 1879.
- THE ORIENT COMPANY'S NEW STEAMSHIP ORIENT. from the South Australian Register (Adelaide, SA : 1839 - 1900) of Tuesday 5 August 1879, Page 6. first accessed online on the 29th of February, 2020 at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/43095890?
- ARRIVAL OF THE S. S. ORIENT. from The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) of Tuesday 16 December 1879, Page 6. first accessed online on the 29th of February, 2020 at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/5967165
- ARRIVAL OF THE ORIENT. from the South Australian Chronicle and Weekly Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1868 - 1881) of Saturday 20 December 1879, Page 7. first accessed online on the 29th of February, 2020 at: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/94751019?
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)