Location: Orland, Hancock County, Maine
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Maine Hancock_County_Maine
Orland is a town in Hancock County, incorporated in 1800 and first settled in 1764. The township was granted to David Marsh and associates in 1762 and was known as Alamasook (also Alamoosook), Narramissic, , then Eastern River.
|September 15, 1759||Wolfe's victory on the Plains of Abraham ended the conflict between France and England over Acadia and Eastern Maine|
|September 8, 1760||marked the final surrender of Montreal and New France to the British ending French control of present day Hancock County Maine|
|1762||Several Land Grants were made from the Livermore Survey including: Township No. 2 East of The Penobscot River|
|unknown date:||Township No. 2 EPR referred to as Plantation No. 2|
|June 25, 1789||Hancock County was formed from a portion of Lincoln County|
|February 21, 1800||Orland' incorporated from Plantation No. 2|
|March 15, 1820||Maine became the nation's 23rd state|
Villages, Locations and Settlements
|Villages, Locations |
|Five Mile Corners|
|Pioneer Settler||Arrival Year|
|Gross, Joseph (1739-1817)||1764|
|Gross, Ebenezer (1737-abt.1806)||1765|
|Craige, Samuel (1731-1815)||1766|
|Viles, Joseph (abt.1737-aft.1800)||1767|
|Hancock, John (abt.1738-1819)|
|Keyes, Samuel (1746-1813)|
|Soper, Samuel (1736-1807)|
|Turner, Calvin (1748-1838)|
|Turner, Asa (1743-1821)|
|Harriman, Asa (1737-1823)||1781|
|Craige, Samuel Jr.|
|Daniel Partridge (abt.1763-1812)|
- Orland on Google Maps
Wasson's A survey of Hancock County, Maine:
Orland,—Incorporated (12-124 town) February 12, 1800. Population, 1,701. Decennary loss, 86. Wealth, per capita, $280. State valuation, $374,390. TJ. S. valuation, $539.121. Anciently called " Alamasook," next "Eastern River." It was No. 2 in the grant to David Marsh. Its name is supposed to be derived from "Oar-land"—an oar having been found upon its shores by the first settler, who was Joseph Gross, in 1764. Ebenezer Gross came in 1765, and Joseph Viles in 1766. Viles built the first framed house. Zachariah Gross, the first child, was born 1766. The first road was laid out in 1771. The first mills were built by Calvin Turner (1748-1838), in 1773. In 1790 it had 290 souls. In 1775, the men of this plantation and those of No. 1, formed themselves into a military company, and also chose a Committee of Safety. Union soldiers, 195; State aid, $5,786; town bounty, $14,855 ; cost per recruit, $164.
Varney's Gazetteer of the state of Maine has the following:
ORLAND is situated upon the Penobscot, being the most northerly town in Hancock County upon that river, except one. It is at the head of Eastern River, 15 miles west of Ellsworth. At the northwestern part of the town are Toddy and Great Ponds, whose outlet furnishes the principal water-power of that town. "The surface conformation of Orland is peculiar. The hills are conical and precipitous, while the valleys approach the gorge form. Standing upon a picturesque knoll of ' modified drift,' on the farm of Frank Buck, one has a grand view of the erratic results of one of nature's tantrums. Before him are the evidences that in time past, the pent up waters that submerged the vast plane above the factory, burst their bounds, and with fearful force, Cut a new outlet to the sea, formed Eastern River, and made an island of Verona." " In the eastern part of the town are masses of potash, feldspar granite rocks, which are crumbling into rockmeal ; in the ' meal ' gold is found. These boulders are of a porphyritic variety, with black mica. On the north-east side of Great Mountain is a cave which has been explored for sixty feet. It has several looms with --walls and ceiling of basaltic finish." [Samuel Wasson, m "Survey of Hancock County."'] These mountains are supposed to belong to the Mountain Limestone period, that age of the growing continent when the cimoid " beads of St. Cuthbert " were formed. The highest of these elevations are Great Pond Mountain and Mason's Mountain, 575 and 350 feet in height, respectively. The ponds are Alamoosic, Toddy, Heart and Craig's, the first being three and onehalf by two and one-half miles, and the second nine by one and onehalf miles, in extent. The soil is a clay loam ; and the crops most cultivated are hay, grain and potatoes. There is, in general, a tidiness about the farms that would indicate thrift; and many are supplied with mowing and other labor-saving machines. At Orland village are a lumber and grist-mill, a brick-yard, and a ship-yard. At East Orland there is a flour-mill and a saw-mill. There are also saw-mills in other parts of the town. The woollen factory in Orland, when in full operation, turned out in one season 30,000 yards of repellants, at a cost of six cents a yard less than any similar establishment in the State. Orland is on the Bangor and Castine, and the Bluehill and Sedgevvick stage-lines. The nearest railroad station is at Bucksport, three miles distant.
The township is said to have been the Number 2 of the grant to David Marsh. Other authorities say that it was granted to W. Dall, Nathaniel Snellings, Robert Treat, and others of Boston ; but it appears quite likely that this was only a grant of a portion at a later date, there having been a large accession of settlers between 1767 and 1780.
In 1775 the men of this and No. 1 formed themselves into a military company, and also chose a Committee of Safety. For a consider able period the town was culled Alamasook, and then " Eastern River." It was incorporated in 1800. Its name is supposed to have been derived from " Oarland," an oar having been found upon its shores by- Joseph Gross, the first settler, who came in 1764. Ebenezer Gross came in 1765, and Joseph Viles in 1766. The latter built the first framed house,—which was used for the plantation meetings until 1804, when the first schoolhouse was built. Zachariah Gross, the first child, was born in 1766. The first road was laid out in 1771, by John Hancock and Samuel Craig. The first saw and grist-mills were built at the lower falls by Calvin Turner, in 1773. Large accessions of inhabitants were made between 1767 and 1780, from Boston. The population in 1790 was 290. The first county road through the plantation was laid out in 1793. There are fifteen persons residing in the town who are above eighty years of age. Orland furnished 195 men for the Union cause during the war of the Rebellion, paying bounty to the amount of $14,855.
The Methodists, Congregationalists and Universalists each have a church in town. Orland has fifteen public schoolhouses, and the school property is valued at $6,500. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $374,390. In 1880 it was $358,325. The population in 1870 was 1,701. In 1880 it was 1,689.
- Web Sites:
- Historical Society
- Maine Genealogy.net's: Orland
- Family Search
- WikiPedia * Wikipedia:Orland, Maine
- Maine Encyclopedia
- The Earliest Settlers Town's Website
- Orland's Best Remembered Orland, Maine 1800-2000 History and Recollected Stories to Celebrate our Bicentenial
- ↑ Wasson, Samuel. 1878. A survey of Hancock County, Maine. Augusta [Me.]: Sprague, Owen & Nash, printers.
- ↑ Varney, George J. 1886. Gazetteer of the state of Maine: with numerous illustrations.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darryl Rowles, Adrian Stanley, and One Place Studies Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)