Location: St. John's East District, Newfoundland
The area was within the boundaries of lands granted in 1610 to the London and Bristol Company, and it is possible that the sites were used by fishermen in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Permanent settlement did not begin, however, until the early 1800s. The Irish migrants who settled in Logy Bay, Outer Cove and Middle Cove were attracted to the region because of the good farm land and easy access to the fishing grounds between Torbay Point and Flat Rock Point. The inhabitants mostly fished and farmed for their own use, but after a rudimentary road to St. John's was built in 1827 — and improved in 1841 — some people were likely selling surplus produce in St. John's.
The predominantly Roman Catholic population was ministered, from St. John's until the mid-1800s, when a parish was established in Torbay. Outer Cove and Middle Cove became part of that parish, while Logy Bay remained within the jurisdiction of the Cathedral parish in St. John's. In 1914 St. Francis of Assisi parish was established and five years later a church was built in Outer Cove to serve that community. Middle Cove and Logy Bay.
In 1836 there were 58 houses and 62 boats in Outer Cove, and a population of 305 — all but 15 of them Roman Catholic. The population was 246 in 1869, consisting of 32 farming and three fishing families. Locally produced fresh milk was sold in the 1830s according to members of the Pine family whose ancestors still raised dairy cattle in 1991. Outer Cove has gained a degree of fame for its rowing crews. A men's crew established a record at the 1901 St. John's Regatta on Quidi Vidi Lake which lasted until 1981. Early family names were Kinsella, O'Brien, O'Rourke, O'Neill, Pine, Power, Walsh, Stack, Roche, Doran, Whelan, Fox, Hickey, McCarthy, Griffin and Carroll.
- What links to this page.
- Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site, St. John's East District
- Newfoundland and Labrador Genweb, Torbay regional sources