Location: Berwickshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
Scotland Project > Topical Teams > Historic Houses Team
This category is part of the Scotland Project a sub-project of the United Kingdom Project. To learn more, please see the page Historic Houses in Scotland
- Team Member Contact: Jean Skar
|Paxton House -CC by Mark Nesbitt|
Paxton House is a historic house at Paxton, Berwickshire, in the Scottish Borders about four miles west of Berwick-upon-Tweed on the north bank of the River Tweed. Patrick Home began work on Paxton in 1758, with completion in 1763. The construction of the house was overseen by James Nisbet, the period’s master mason.In 1773 Patrick Home sold Paxton to his cousin, or nephew Ninian Home. George or his relative Miss Jean Home, who was to inherit the house and paintings, in 1812 built the library and great picture gallery. Robert Reid, the King’s architect and surveyor for Scotland, help design a East Wing, to house them.
- 1763 Patrick Home of Billie son of Rev.Ninian Home of Billie and wife Margaret
- 1773 Ninian (Hume) Home (-1795) for £15,000. A plantation owner in Grenada killed in a slaves' uprising there in 1795.
- 1795 George Home inherited the house from his brother
- 1820 Wm. Foreman Home", "Esq.", "of Paxton and Billie", "of Wedderburn" 24 Apr 1782 -1852
- 1852 David Milne married Jean Margaret (Home) Milne Home in 1832. On her father's death in 1852 they adopted the famous name Home, thereafter being Milne-Home. and inherited the Wedderburn, Billie and Paxton estates
- David Home Robertson (1838 - 1901)
- 1988, the last laird of Paxton House, John David Home Robertson, gave the country house and its 80 acre estate to the nation for their benefit and enjoyment
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)