Perkins in North America Name Study
This One Name Study will collect accurate, sourced information and resources for the Perkins Family in North America and connect all to the Global Tree.
Parents of Abraham Perkins?
If you are a male descendant of these three ancestors, please take a Y-DNA test and add it to your profile:
- Abraham Perkin’s ( -1683) Hampton, New Hampshire Y-DNA Descendants of Abraham Perkins
- Isaac Perkins (1611-1685) Hampton, New Hampshire Y-DNA Descendants of Isaac Perkins
- John Perkins (1583-1654) Ipswich, Massachusetts Y-DNA Descendants of John Perkins
- Sec. Frances Coralie (Perkins) Wilson (1880-1965) US Secretary of Labor
- Cmdre. George Hamilton Perkins (1836-1899) Commodore US Navy
- PFC Michael J Perkins (1899–1918) Medal of Honor - WWI
- Brig Gen Simon Perkins (1771-1844) Co-founder of Akron, Ohio; Brigadier General - War of 1812
- Cpl William Thomas Perkins Jr (1947-1967) NY Medal of Honor - Vietnam
- Other famous Perkins family members are shown in Wikipedia.
- Perkins in British American Wars (1620-1745)
- Perkins in American Revolutionary War (1775–1783)
- Perkins in War of 1812 (1812-1815))
- Perkins In US Civil War (1861-1865)
- Perkins in World War I (1917-1918)
- Perkins in World War II (1939-1945)
- Perkins in Korean War (1950-Ongoing)
- Perkins in Vietnam War (1955-1975)
Early American Perkins Families
- Abraham Perkins (-1683), Mary (Wythe) Perkins (1618-1706); Hampton, New Hampshire (possibly from Hillmorton, England)
- Edward Perkins (1607-1684), Elizabeth (Butcher) Perkins (1622-); New Haven, Connecticut (from Hillmorton, England)
- Isaac Perkins (1571-1639), Alice Perkins 2nd (1580-1639); Ipswich, Massachusetts (from Hillmorton, England)
- Isaac Perkins (1611-1685), Susanna (Unknown) Perkins (1613-1699); Hampton, New Hampshire (from Hillmorton, England)
- John Perkins (1583-1654), Judith (Gater) Perkins (1589-1654); Ipswich, Massachusetts (from Hillmorton, England)
- Mary (Perkins) Bradbury (1615-1700), Captain Thomas Bradbury (1610-1695), Salisbury, Massachusetts (from Hillmorton, England)
- Robert Chauncey William Perkins (1645-1668), Mardi Jo Drew (1650-1663), Charles County, Maryland (possibly from Hillmorton, England)
- Deacon Thomas Perkins (1622-1686), Elizabeth (Whipple) Perkins (1629-1685); Topsfield, Massachusetts (from Hillmorton, England)
- Rev. William Perkins (1607-1682), Elizabeth (Wooton) Perkins (1610-1690); Topsfield, Massachusetts (from London, England)
How You Can Help
- Create new profiles and connect them to the Global Tree.
Your Related Perkins Profiles:
- Improve Profiles
- Adopt Orphaned Perkins Profiles.
- Connect Unconnected Perkins Profiles.
- Complete Pending Merges.
- Find and Merge Matches.
- Add Immigrant Ancestors.
- Add the Category: Perkins Name Study.
On this page:
- Add family stories, below in Memories.
- Post comments and questions.
- Get help from project managers Clyde Perkins or Traci Thiessen.
Coats of Arms?
They are interesting and fun, but "In the heraldic traditions of England and Scotland, an individual, rather than a family, had a coat of arms." This suggests there is no official Perkins Family Coat of Arms. And quoting the heralds and members of the British Royal Household who make up the College of Arms,"there is no such thing as a 'coat of arms for a surname'...Coats of arms belong to individuals. For any person to have a right to a coat of arms they must either have had it granted to them or be descended in the legitimate male line from a person to whom arms were granted or confirmed in the past."
- How to Get Started with DNA
- WikiTree DNA Project
- FamilyTreeDNA Perkins Project
- FamilyTreeDNA Viking DNA
- DNA Confirmation
- Mortensen, Paula Perkins. ‘‘English Origin of Six Early Colonists by the Name of Perkins.’‘ Baltimore MD: Gateway Press, 1998. Access online at LDS.org.
- Perkins, David Walter. ‘‘Notes on the Perkins Families in England: Chiefly Extracts from Probate Registries, with Several Pedigrees Appended.’‘ Salem MA: 1894. Access online at Archive.org.
- Perkins, David Walter. ‘‘Perkins Families in the United States in 1790.’‘ Utica NY: D.W. Perkins, 1911. Access online at Archive.org.
- Perkins, D.W., comp. ‘‘The Perkins Family in ye Olden Times - The Contents a Series of Letters of the Late Mansfield Parkyns, Esq.’‘ Utica NY: D.W. Perkins, 1916. Access online at Archive.org.
- Perkins, George Augustus, ‘‘The Family of John Perkins of Ipswich, Massachusetts.’‘ (Salem, MA: G.A. Perkins, 1889), accessed at Archive.org.
- Perkins, Merrill. ‘‘A Perkins Family History.’‘ 2003.
- Perkins, Thomas Allen, comp., ‘‘Jacob Perkins of Wells, Maine and His Descendants, 1583-1936.’‘ Haverhill, MA: Record Publishing Company, 1947. Access online at Archive.org.
- ‘‘Perkins Register Report’‘, compiled by Kristin Hall, 2004.
- ’‘The Ancient History of the Distinguished Surname Perkins - An Essay in Two Parts.’‘ by James Fulton Perkins
- ’‘Early New England Families, 1641-1700.’‘ (Original Online Database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2013. By Alicia Crane Williams, Lead Genealogist.) Access online at AmericanAncestors.org with NEHGS membership. Profile of John Perkins, 4 pages.
Published Directories/Genealogies that Include Perkins
- Anderson, Robert Charles, ‘‘The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633’‘. Boston: NEHGS, 1996-2011. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2010). Vol. 3, pp. 1431-1433: Bio of John Perkins Sr.; pp.1433-1438: William Perkins of Topsfield
- Burke, Sir John Bernard. ‘‘Burke's American Families with British Ancestry.’‘ Baltimore MD: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1975. Access online at Ancestry.com.
- Cutter, William Richard. ‘‘New England Families, Genealogical and Memorial; A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of Commonwealths and the Founding of a Nation.’‘ Vol. 2. New York NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1914. Access online at Archive.org.
- Davis, Walter Goodwin. ‘‘Massachusetts and Maine Families in the Ancestry of Walter Goodwin Davis (1885-1966).’‘ Baltimore MD: Genealogical Pub. Co., 1996. Access online at Ancestry.com.
- Davis, Walter Goodwin. ‘‘The Ancestry of Dudley Wildes of Topsfield Massacusetts.’‘ Portland ME: The Anthoensen Press, 1959. Access online at LDS. org.
- Dow, Joseph. ‘‘History of the Town of Hampton, New Hampshire, from it's Settlement in 1638 to the Autumn of 1892.’‘ Vol. 1. Salem MA: Lucy Dow, 1893. Access online at GoogleBooks.
- Dow, Joseph. ‘‘History of the Town of Hampton, New Hampshire, from it's Settlement in 1638 to the Autumn of 1892.’‘ Vol. 2. Salem MA: Lucy Dow, 1893. Access online at GoogleBooks.
- Ferris, Mary Walton. ‘‘Dawes-Gates Ancestral Lines. A memorial Volume. The American ancestry of Rufus R. Dawes.’‘ Vol. 1. Milwaukee WI: Cuneo Press, 1943. Access online at HathiTrust.com.
- Flagg, Charles Alcott. ‘‘An Alphabetical Index of Revolutionary Pensioners Living in Maine.’‘ Baltimore MD: Clearfield Company, 1920. Access online at GoogleBooks.
- J.H. Beers & Co. ‘‘Representative Men and Old Families of Southeastern Massachusetts: Containing Historical Sketches of Prominent and Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families.’‘ Vol. 3. Chicago IL: J.H. Beers & Co., 1912 . Access online at: GoogleBooks.
- Lapham, William Berry & Maxim, Silas Packard. ‘‘History of Paris, Maine: From its Settlement to 1880, with a History of the Grants of 1736 & 1771, Together with Personal Sketches, a Copious Genealogical Register and an Appendix.’‘ Paris ME: authors, 1884. Access online at GoogleBooks.
- Lapham, William Berry. ‘‘History of Woodstock, Maine, with Family Sketches and an Appendix.’‘ Portland ME: Stephen Berry, 1882. Access online at GoogleBooks.
- Little, George Thomas. ‘‘Genealogical and Family History of the State of Maine.’‘ Vol. 2. New York NY: Lewis Historical Publishing Co., 1909. Access online at Archive.org.
- Savage, James. ‘‘'A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England, Showing Three Generations of Those who Came before May, 1962, on the Basis of Farmer's Register.’‘ Boston MA: Little Brown & Co., 1860. Accessed online at Archive.org.
- Sharp, Mary ‘‘’The History of Ufton Court, of the Parish of Ufton, in the County of Berks, and of the Perkins Family: Compiled from Ancient Records’‘. (London: Elliott Stock, 1892), accessed at Archive.org
- Waters, Thomas Franklin, ‘‘Ipswich in the Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1633-1700’‘ (Ipswich, Mass: Ipswich Historical Society, 1905) accessed at Archive.org
Online Forums and Trees
- Perkins G2G Activity on WikiTree.
- SelectSurnames - Perkins.
- Perkins Research Family History.
- Forebears - Perkins surname distribution worldwide.
- Perkins Forum on Genealogy.com.
- Boydhouse.com Isaac & Alice Perkins.
- How can I create a medal icon to add next to a name in a list Feb 17, 2019.
- Join us in the Perkins Name Study Jan 10, 2019.