History of the Perth Military Settlement
Originally part of Johnstown District, the area was surveyed between 1804 and 1819. The Perth Military consisted of the following original Townships:
- Bathurst, surveyed in 1816
- Drummond, surveyed in 1816
- Beckwith, surveyed in 1817
- South Sherbrooke, surveyed in 1819
From 1816 to 1821, the Perth Settlement (including the village of Perth) were governed and administered by the Settling Department of the British Army.
The End of Military Control
Military control of the Perth Military Settlement ended in 1822 and resulted in the further division of Johnstown District lying north of the Rideau River and included all the territory that would later become Carleton and Renfrew Counties.
Administration for the region was placed in the hands of the Bathurst District Session of the Peace, which was composed of local magistrates appointed by the Crown.