King William the Lion bestowed the church of Kulter upon the Abbey and monks of St Mary of Kelso, sometime between 1165–1199. The gift was later confirmed by Mathew, Bishop of Aberdeen.
Between 1287–1288, an agreement was made between the Abbot and Convent of Kelso and the Knights of Jerusalem, regarding the Templar lands of Blairs and Kincolsi (Kincousie), where a chapel, built by the Templars at their house of Culter, was recognised as a church. Parochial rights were granted for the inhabitants of the lands. It was this agreement that divided the existing parish of Culter into two separate parishes: Peterculter, and Maryculter.