Location: South Africa
Surnames/tags: Clarendon Villiers Cocks
This photograph was found among the photo albums and folders belonging to Patricia Kathleen Frayne (née Herold) after her death.
It was stored within a folder with the handwritten title "Gov General Clarendon".
|The full photograph with border and seal||Folder the photograph was found in with handwritten title of "Gov General Clarendon"|
Research leads me to believe that this portrait is of the 5th Governor-General to South Africa, George Herbert Hyde Villiers, who was the 6th Earl of Clarendon, together with his wife, Adeline Verena Ishbel Villiers (née Cocks).
George fulfilled the position of Governor-General in the Union of South Africa from 1931 until 1937. 
I can only assume that this photo was some sort of keepsake that was issued at the end of his tenure in 1937. It is unfortunate that the seal in the bottom right corner is illegible, as this might have provided additional clues. How Patricia Frayne came to have a copy in her possession is unknown.
Other photos of George can be seen in the British Royal Portrait Gallery, and you will notice a likeness particularly to the portraits taken around the same time. This, together with the title on the folder that the photo was housed in, and the date on photo, lead me to believe that my identification is correct. Confirmation thereof, or indeed dispute, is welcome.
- ↑ Wikipedia, 6th Earl of Clarendon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Villiers,_6th_Earl_of_Clarendon
- ↑ The Peerage, George Herbert Hyde Villiers, 6th Earl of Clarendon: http://www.thepeerage.com/p5751.htm#c57506.2
- ↑ The Home of the Clarendons: http://rastall.com/grove/clarendons.html
- ↑ The Peerage, Hon. Adeline Verena Ishbel Cocks: http://www.thepeerage.com/p5753.htm#i57523
- ↑ Wikipedia, Governor-Generals to South Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor-General_of_South_Africa
- ↑ Royal Portrait Gallery, George Herbert Hyde Villiers, 6th Earl of Clarendon (1877-1955): https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person/mp52240/george-herbert-hyde-villiers-6th-earl-of-clarendon?search=sas&sText=6th+Earl+of+Clarendon&OConly=true
- Has this picture been correctly identified? Jan 20, 2021.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)