upload image

Pomeroy, Ohio

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: [unknown]
This page has been accessed 65 times.
Meigs County Courthouse

{[Clear}} Pomeroy, Ohio was founded in 1804 and named for landowner Samuel Wyllis Pomeroy.

Samuel Ervin built the first cabin in Pomeroy near the site known as Horton Boatyard in 1807 and Amos Partlow arrived in 1809 and built his cabin about where the Excelsior Salt Works was situated. The third cabin was built by Frank Hughes where the court house now stands and the fourth cabin was built on Sugar Run by John Mason. Nathaniel Clark arrived in 1815 and bought Samuel Ervin's place. Other early settlers are Robert Bailey, Randall Stivers, Major Dill, and Niall Nye.

The village was incorporated in 1840, and designated Meigs County Seat in 1841 (the town of Chester was the first Meigs County Seat). The town thrived as a producer of coal and salt and, by 1880, there was a population of 5,560. Due to the decline in coal and salt use, however, the population is now 1,966.

Sources

See also:



This is an "orphaned" profile — there's no Profile Manager to watch over it. Please adopt this profile.


Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.