Portlethen (Scottish Gaelic: Port Leathain)
Portlethen is the seventh largest town in Aberdeenshire, with a population of 7,327 in 2011. It is located approximately 7 miles south of Aberdeen along the A90.
To the east of Portlethen lie three fishing villages: Findon, Downies and Portlethen Village ( Old Portlethen). Although Portlethen has been granted official town status, it resembles a residential suburb without a clear 'town center' or focal point.
Portlethen was originally a small fishing village. The harbor is located in what is now Old Portlethen, the original village on the coast about a half a mile east from Portlethen Parish Church. Portlethen lies about two kilometres east of the ancient Causey Mounth road, which was built on high ground to make passable this only available medieval route across the Mounth from coastal points south to Aberdeen.
This ancient passage specifically connected the Bridge of Dee with Muchalls Castle and Stonehaven to the south. The route was taken by William Keith, 7th Earl Marischal, and James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose, when they led a Covenanter army of 9000 men in the first battle of the Civil War in 1639.
Portlethen has expanded very rapidly. In the 1980's, a new retail park was constructed. Portlethen is still continuing to expand into a sizable town. []