Location: Paducah, Kentucy
I am looking for the Williams family around 1875 while living near Paducah. Their oldest son was said to be born in Paducah in 1875. Both parents died when the children were young and their sons had left Kentucky by 1910. I don't know where or when William Thomas and Adaline died, or when the boys left Kentucky.
Father: said to be William Thomas Williams, name uncertain. The only record I have with his name is the death certificate of his son William Monroe. From William Monroe's census records he was born in Tennessee, probably about 1850. He survived Adaline and remarried, but died while the children he had with Adaline were still young.
Mother: Adaline Poat (Polk/Pote), born about 1850. Said to have been brought to America from Germany at the age of 12 (about 1862?). Adaline was the widow of a Mr. Devons (no children from this marriage known) and married William Thomas as her second husband prior to 1875. Adaline died "when their oldest son was about 10" (1885?), shortly after the birth of her second son in 1884.
Son: William Monroe Williams, said to be born in Paducah September 15, 1875. The first record I have for him is the 1910 census in Dyer County, TN, after which he is well documented. William Monroe is said to have married 3 times but the names of his first two wives are unknown. With his first wife he had three children, twins that died in infancy, and daughter Ruth Evangeline Williams. William Monroe's first wife and all 3 children died within 3(?) days of each other. With his second wife, William Monroe had a son, Fonzie Ward Williams who died at the age of 12 (?) in a drowning accident. William Monroe married as his third wife Carless Jane Tidwell January 9, 1907 in Bells, Crockett County, Tennessee. I don't know when William Monroe moved to Tennessee, or if his first two marriages were prior to or after his move from Kentucky to Tennessee. The family was in Dyer County Tennessee by 1910. William Monroe died in Missouri October 13, 1951.
Son: Harry Robert Williams, said to be born in Graves County, December 15, 1884. He married "Bertha" Elizabeth Grimes June 14, 1906. The first record I have for Harry is also the 1910 census, where he was living in Vienna, Johnson County, Illinois. By 1920 he had moved to West Frankfort, Franklin County, Illinois where he raised his family and died March 11, 1963.
I am looking for information about William Thomas and his wife Adaline (Poat) Devons Williams.
- When and where was William Thomas born, who were his parents? When did he die?
- Who was William Thomas' second wife? [married after 1884]
- When and where were William Thomas and Adaline married? [married prior to 1874, probably living near Paducah]
- When and where was Adaline Poat born, and who were her parents? [probably born in Germany about 1850]. When did she die? [probably about 1885].
- Who is "Mr Devons"? When were he and Adaline married and when did he die? [married and died prior to 1875].
- Would love to find Adaline's immigration records from Germany (?) to America. Probably in the early 1860s.
- Who raised the children of William Thomas and Adaline - William Monroe and Harry Robert? [Harry Robert lived for a time with William Thomas' second wife (whose name is unknown)].
- Who were William Monroe's first and second wives? Did they marry (and die) in Paducah? [both died prior to 1907]
- Birth / Death dates for William Monroe's children with his first wife: Ruth Evangeline and twin boys; and his second wife: Fonzie Ward.