He married Elizabeth Pomeroy, daughter of Henry Pomeroy of Berry Pomeroy ( near Totnes in Devon )
They had children:
Humphrey Courtenay of Bickley, died on the 23rd of April 1496. An Inquisition Post Mortem was taken 12 Henry VII ( no.82 )  It names his grandson Humphrey, then aged 7 and more , as his heir to the manor of Bickleigh, He was the son of John Courtenay,
Apart from Vivian's Visitations of Devon, there is other evidence for the existence of Humphrey's daughter, Joan Courtenay and her marriage to William Marwood ( Merwode ).
|Runaway Match p 197.|
The original IPM for William Merwode is held by the National Archives at Kew  and was photographed by Joe Farler The latin text quoted above does appear, ten lines up from the bottom, starting near the left hand side. There is a faint red box added in the following image around the text: quibisdam Will'o Merwode per nomen Willi Merwode Junioris filij et heredis dicti Will'i in dicto brevi nominati et Johanne uxori sue unius fil dicti Humfr'i
|William Merwode of Westcote IPM 22 Edw. IV no.51|
- ↑ Calendar of Inquisitions Post Mortem and Other Analogous Documents preserved in the Public Record Office (H.M. Stationery Office, London, 1898) Henry VII., Vol. 1, Pages 543-4
- ↑ The Genealogist, Volume VI Edited by George W Marshall L.L.B. Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries London 1882. George Bell and Sons, York Street Covent Garden. Page 197 of: The Runaway Match of Elizabeth Courtenay by John A.C. Vincent.complete article viewable online here
- ↑ C140/85/51 Merwode William, Devon 22 Edw IV Chancery Inquisitions Post Mortem Series 1, Edward IV
- The visitations of the county of Devon : Comprising the herald's visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620 / With additions by Lieutenant-Colonel J. L. Vivian. Author: Vivian, J. L. 1830-1896. Published: Exeter : For the author, by H. S. Eland,  Page: 246. viewable online here image below:
|Courtenay Visitations of Devon p.246|
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)