How to Add an Image to a Profile
An image can be included on a profile in several ways. (As a courtesy, please follow Wiki Tree communication guidelines and message profile manager(s) or leave a note in the comment section regarding an image addition.)
- 1. In-Text: : A preferred method for improving profiles without uploading images directly onto a profile; however the image must already be available on Wiki Tree. If the image is not on Wiki Tree, consider creating a FreeSpace page to store images used on profile improvements. See Here for insight on this topic. Aesthetically pleasing, an in-text image also avoids side clutter on a profile page.
- From image page, copy insert code located on right side of image page. Alternately, copy generic template below: (advanced users)
|Insert code example located on image page|
- |file = filename
- |align= r, l or c
- |size = s, m, l, or # of pixels
- |caption = optional
- On the subject profile page, in edit mode, paste the code into the profile where you want the image inserted. Edit alignment and size choices + caption if desired. If uncaptioned, delete word(s) after equal (=) sign. (generic template users: add appropriate image filename). Select preview before saving to check positioning.
- The selected image will appear on the subject profile, but will not be linked to either the profile or the image page.
- 2. Image Page linked: From Image page, scroll to Add person or free-space profile:. Enter profile WikiTree ID. Save.
- 3. Watchlist linked: If the profile is on your Watchlist, from the Image page check the box next to the Watchlist Profile and save. The image will now be included on the right side of the selected profile. The selected profile will also be listed as an attachment to the Image page for other members to see.
|check profile you are adding image to|
- 4. Download/Upload: Download and save image to your own hard drive file. Reupload to the subject profile. The image will now be posted on the right side of the selected profile. This method requires you to host the image file on your own device.
- It is preferable to acquire permission from profile manager(s) before direct uploading, whenever possible.
- 5. Background Use: From Image page, copy the filename only from the image insert code located on the right side of the page.
|copy image filename|
- On subject profile, in edit mode, find Edit Photo Settings subheader, then paste the image filename into Background Images box and save.
|filename pasted into box|
Enjoy the results!
Remember: Please DO NOT utilize any image that does not meet Wiki Tree guidelines.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)