SJ Baty traces his descent from John Mullins through Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr., John's grandson. While there is a clear paper trail from SJ to Thomas, no direct documentation has been found linking Thomas to his father Joseph Mullins, the son of John Mullins. Despite the absence of documents to establish the father-son relation ship between Joseph Mullins and Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr., the connection can be proved through circumstantial written evidence combined with a combination of autosomal DNA and Y-DNA. This page will cite and explain the evidence that proves that SJ is a descendant of John Mullins.
- Note: Any source not found in this page will be listed in the individual profiles.
Path of evidence
- SJ has a complete and conclusive paper trail to Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.
- Bobby Mullins has a complete and conclusive paper trail to Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.
- SJ Baty and Bobby Mullins are proven cousins based on written records and further supported by autosomal DNA testing: the test predicts 2nd to 4th cousins - in actuality, SJ and Bobby are 4th cousins.
- John Mullins' son Joseph Mullins is listed in John's will and Joseph's migration to Tennessee from Virginia can be tracked through the statements in his Revolutionary War pension application and also through census records, marriage records, and land records.
- Bobby Mullins links positively, via Y-DNA testing to descendants who trace their lineage to John through his other sons, and grandsons.
- The proximity and timing of Joseph Mullins' migration to Tennessee is similar enough to that of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. that it is almost certain that Thomas is the son of Joseph.
- Because Bobby Mullins can be positively linked as a descendant of John Mullins, and therefore as a descendant of Joseph Mullins, the father-son link between Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. and Joseph Mullins can be proven with Y-DNA test results.
- The Y-DNA descendants of John Mullins' sons and grandsons form a distinct family that is from a different line than William Mullins and Katherine Smith. Subsequent to this discovery, John was detached as a child of William and Katherine and all profiles annotated.
The path from SJ Baty to Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. can be proved through written records:
- 1. SJ Baty is the son of [private father]
- 2. [Private] is the son of Virgie Ella (Ulmer) Baty
- 3. Virgie is the daughter of Laura Elizabeth (Mullins) Ulmer
- 4. Laura is the daughter of Anderson Richardson Mullins
- 5. Anderson is the son of Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr.
- 6. Thomas is the son of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.
The connection between Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. and Joseph Mullins is extremely likely based on written records and proved via Y-DNA test results.
The connection between Joseph and John Mullins can be established via written documentation and Y-DNA test results.
Bobby Mullins traces his descent to John Mullins through Anderson Green Mullins, son of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.:
- 1. Bobby Mullins is the son of J. D. Mullins
- 2. J. Mullins is the son of Thomas Green Mullins
- 3. Thomas Mullins is the son of Joseph Benjamin Mullins
- 4. Joseph Mullins is the son of Anderson Green Mullins
- 5. Anderson Mullins is the son of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.
- 6. Thomas Mullins is the son of Joseph Mullins
- 7. Joseph Mullins is the son of John Mullins
Bobby Mullins has been positively identified as a direct Y-DNA descendant of John Mullins. Bobby's Y-DNA was found to be in the same family as the descendants of John's other sons and grandsons.
Thomas and Joseph Mullins
Joseph Mullins was a veteran of the American Revolutionary War. Through his pension application for veterans benefits we are able to track his movements from Virginia to Grainger, Tennessee and ultimately to Bedford, Tennessee. To date, no documentation has been found that clearly links Joseph to his son Thomas Richardson Mullins but their movements from Virginia to Tennessee offer a very strong circumstantial case for a father-son relation. DNA evidence further proves this connection.
An examination of the timeline of Joseph and his family and descendants shows the proximity of the families and illustrates the strong circumstantial evidence based on the written record:
|The proximity of Bedford, Franklin, Lincoln, and Marion Counties in 1827 Tennessee.|
- 1739 - Amelia, Virginia (birth of Joseph Mullins)
- 1777 - Virginia (birth of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.)
- 1790 - Virginia (birth of Frances Cobb, wife of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr.)
- 1805 - Grainger, TN, tax roll (Joseph Mullins) [other related families on this list include: Richardson, Banton, John & Joel Mullins, Cobb, Stubblefield, Arnold]
- 1811 - Grainger, TN, (marriage of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. and Frances "Franky" Cobb)
- 1820 - Tennessee (birth of Anderson Green Mullins)
- 1822 - Tennessee (birth of Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr.)
- 1823 - Marion, TN, land register (Joseph Mullins)
- 1830 - Lincoln, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. & wife Franky)
- 1831 - Bedford, TN, pension roll (Joseph Mullins)
- 1833 - Bedford, TN, pension application (Joseph Mullins)
- 1840 - Bedford, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. & wife Franky)
- 1842 - Franklin, TN, marriage (Anderson Green Mullins and Louisa Carter Jane Carter, daughter of George Washington Carter and Nancy Hasty; by the 1860 census, Anderson Green Mullins and Louisa had moved to Arkansas)
- 1846 - Franklin, TN, marriage (Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr. & wife Izibiah Carter)
- 1850 - Bedford, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. & wife Franky)
- 1850 - Franklin, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr. & wife Izibiah)
- 1850 - Bedford, TN, census (Anderson Green Mullins and wife Louisa)
- 1860 - Franklin, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr., wife Izibiah & son Anderson Richardson Mullins)
- 1870 - Franklin, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr., wife Izibiah & son Anderson Richardson Mullins)
- 1874 - Moore, TN marriage (Anderson Richardson Mullins and Hester Manning)
- 1880 - Lynchburg, Moore, TN census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr. and wife Izibiah; next door: Elizabeth Manning, widow; next door: Anderson Richardson Mullins and wife Hester)
- 1900 - CD 11, Moore, TN, census (Thomas Richardson Mullins Jr. and wife Izibiah)
- 1900 - CD 11, Moore, TN, census (Anderson Richardson Mullins and wife Hester and many related Cobbs on the same census page)
- 1910 - Italy, TX, census (Anderson Richardson Mullins, wife Hester, and families: Ulmer, Sims, & Reeder)
- 1920 - CD 11, Moore, TN, census (Anderson Richardson Mullins, wife Hester, and Clyde & Laura Ulmer)
- 1930 - Tullahoma, Coffee, TN, census (Anderson Richardson Mullins, wife Hester, Clyde & Laura Ulmer, and Ed Carter & family)
- 1937 - Tullahoma, Coffee, TN, deaths of Anderson Richardson Mullins and wife Hester
|A redistricting of Tennessee's counties in 1871 created Moore and Coffee Counties from parts of Lincoln, Bedford, and Franklin Counties.|
John Mullins was born about 1718 in Virginia. He had been believed to be the son of William and Katherine (Smith) Mullins but these links have been disproved. John was married to Susannah, believed surname Morton. John and Susannah had at least nine children:
- i. Joseph Mullins, b. 2 March 1739 in Amelia County, VA
- ii. William Scott (Mullins) Mullen, b. ca 1740, Hanover County, VA, d. 1806, Williamson Co., TN
- iii. David Mullins, b. ca 1745 in Virginia, d. 1795 in NC
- iv. John Mullins, b. ca 1758
- v. Joshua Mullins
- vi. Thomas Mullins
- vii. Agnes Mullins, b. ca 1757 in Virginia, d. prior to 1810 in Georgia
- viii. Hannah Mullins
- ix. Precious Mullins
John died prior to 1 July 1772. His will was dated 19 May 1772 and the deed proved on the first of July. All of the aforementioned children were listed in the will.
Descendants of three of John's sons and several of his grandsons were proved to be from the same family line with one shared recent common ancestor.
Bobby Mullins and SJ Baty
In addition to the strong genealogy based on documentation to a shared ancestor Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr., SJ Baty and Bobby match as autosomal DNA cousins with 48 shared centimorgans and the longest block 31 centimorgans. The predicted relationship is 2nd to 4th cousins. In actuality, SJ and Bobby are fourth cousins.
Mullins YDNA descendants
The descendants of John Mullins Y-DNA test results show that they are all in a single family group with a recent common ancestor. The group of descendants of John Mullins' (1718) sons and grandsons listed at the FtDNA Mullins Y-DNA surname group at the time of this writing are as follows:
- Hiram Mullins, b. ca. 1806, Boyle Co., KY; d. 1891 (unk. father, could be a grandson of John)
- Abner Mullins, b. ca. 1770, Charlotte, VA (possibly a grandson of John and son of David D. Mullins)
- John Mullins Jr. (son of John), b. 1758; m. Nancy Gentry
- Joshua Mullins (son of John), b. 1753 or 1756; m. Ann Robinson; d. 1851 - Note: there is a second Joshua (listing the same birth year) with different genetic markers; probably one of the genealogies for one of the Joshua lines is incorrect.
- Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr. (son of Joseph, grandson of John), b. 1777, VA, d. ca. 1850 in Tennessee
- Joel Mullins, b. ca. 1772 in VA, [migrated to] Lincoln County, TN (this descendant carries a 17 marker at the DYS570 allele, the same as Thomas Mullins Sr. A Joel Mullins appears in the early Grainger, TN tax roll of 1805 as does Thomas Mullins. it is possible that Joel is a brother of Thomas Richardson Mullins Sr., and a son of Joseph Mullins).
|YDNA descendants of John Mullins (1718)|
Previously at Wikitree, and persisting elsewhere on the internet is the erroneous descent of John Mullins (1718) as a son of William Mullins and Katherine Smith. This connection has been disproved through DNA tests. At the FtDNA Mullins DNA Project, the results of the Mullins Y-DNA tests have been published: Mullins DNA Project - Y-DNA Colorized Chart. In this chart we can see that the descendants of the sons of William Mullins are from a different family group than the descendants of John Mullins. This means that John is not the son of William. (Note: William's descendants are represented in the second family group with a green header and the title: "Com. Adkins (PF4135) Ancestor." The descendants of John Mullins (1718 ) appear under a teal header with the title: "Com. Mullins Ancestor.I John 1718 & Susannah.")
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)