Puritan Great Migration Membership Team
The purpose of this team is to help build PGM into an active project, whose members work together in a collaborative and team-oriented way.
The Membership team is composed of Puritan Great Migration members who are knowledgeable about the Project and its goals, are friendly and approachable, and who are interested in helping to further develop/retain the PGM team and its members.
- Be a very visible and welcoming face of the Puritan Great Migration project.
- Solicit and review potential new members, and welcome newly approved members.
- Develop PGM member coaching guidelines and associated helpful tools/templates for use in coaching team members
- Maintain project member master list(s).
- Participate in annual membership review.
- Acknowledge the accomplishments of the project and its members.
- Review PGM team applications, and recommend approval or deferral
- Coach new members and/or members who may need additional assistance.
- Maintain an accurate spreadsheet-type record of all active project members and what team(s)/subteam(s) they are on.
- Manage PGM Members Google Groups, adding and deleting members as necessary
- Assist Project Leaders and/or team leader(s) in carrying out the annual membership review.
Project (Fun) Ideas
- Weekly status reports promoting achievements, successes - let's show people how their efforts are helping and recognize them. Maybe this should be a newsletter? How do we make this as easy as possible to carry out?
- Identify challenges like Biography Builders that we can suggest team members join - get a quill pen while you help PGM, it's a two-fer!
- Spring Clean-a-Thon: Start talking with another team (Scotland is very friendly even though it is a cold and windy island) about best practices in setting up and managing a team for this (and other?) competitions
- Improve the automation and process documentation of the Membership Master spreadsheet (yawn)
- Write an "onboarding guide" - what should new members expect? How can we best orient them, make them productive, answer their questions before they are asked?
- Formalize our process to review potential new members - how many contributions should they have? How many PGM posts? What exactly should we look for in a perspective member?
- Figure out how to use the data we have about members and profile edits/comments to find people who we should ask to join PGM. Let's recruit the best!
- Rewards and recognition - electronic? Starbucks cards? T-shirts? Think outside the box...
Membership Team FAQ
1. I joined Membership, what do I do now?
- Thanks! On the WikiPGM discord server in our #membership-general channel we will talk about team tasks, goals etc. Start hanging out there and the project coordinator will help you figure out what to work on.
2. What should I expect?
- Our focus is the membership experience and success at a project level more than the nuts & bolts of genealogy. So we will work on things like a coaching guidelines, newsletter, forming a team for the Spring Clean-a-Thon, and define some fun team challenges. We will want your thoughts and ideas on how to make the team more fun and engaging, how to identify & recruit new talent, how to retain & motivate our more experienced team members. You should expect to contribute, to be listened to (and sometimes argued with, politely and respectfully), and to have fun.
3, Is there a list of these ideas, projects, tasks?
- Not yet. Job 1 will be for us to define them, prioritize them, divvy up work and then put them into action. The ideas listed above are a start but the team wants your input and your experience to help make sure we work on the most important stuff first. Remember, it's all about keeping PGM fun, engaging, effective and operating smoothly for all team members.
- There are a few administrative tasks like keeping the membership list up-to-date and maintaining Google Groups, the project coordinator will handle those normally.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Bobbie Hall and S Willson. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)