no image

Queen Street Cemetery, Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario

Privacy Level: Public (Green)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: Sault Sainte Marie, Ontariomap
Surname/tag: Cemeteries
This page has been accessed 38 times.

Street Address: Queen Street Community: Sault Ste Marie Township: Awenge Township (Concession 1) Locality: Algoma District Municipality: Sault Ste Marie Province: ON GPS: 46.505002,-84.305676

Church / Denomination: Non-Denominational

Registered to City of Sault Ste. Marie.


On Queen Street between Pine and Elizabeth Streets you will find Sault Ste. Marie’s last remaining 19th Century rural municipal cemetery.

The Queen Street Cemetery, which is also known as the Old Town Cemetery was established in 1879, however some of the burials date back to 1863. The cemetery was also referred to as the Protestant Cemetery, based on burial records from St. Luke’s Pro-Cathedral and Central United Church. The Catholic cemetery at the time was located on Queen Street, opposite Precious Blood Cathedral.

Land Registry records indicate that a Crown Patent for 24 acres of land between Pim and Elizabeth Streets was granted to Jane March in 1857. On April 28, 1860 she transferred the 24 acres to Joseph Wilson, a Customs Collector for Algoma. On October 20 1879, Joseph Wilson conveyed a portion of this land to Sault Ste. Marie, which would become known as the Queen Street Cemetery.

The Queen Street Cemetery’s historical importance is due not only to its age but also because of the individuals that were buried there. Headstones for many of the key figures that helped shape Sault Ste. Marie can be found here including George Ironside, David and Margaret Pim, Colonel John Savage, Henry Pilgrim, Captain T.A. Tower and Wemyss Simpson. Remember this Cemetery


Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.