Raccoon Township is one of the fifteen townships of Gallia County, Ohio. Two villages are located in Raccoon Township: Centerville, the smallest village in the county, in the west; and Rio Grande, the second largest village in the county, in the south.
Raccoon Township was laid out March 24th, 1805 and organized on June 12th, 1812. Big Raccoon creek enters in northeastern part, and taking rather a crooked course runs across the township from north to south. Big Indian creek enters the northwestern part of the township, runs a southeasterly course and empties into the Big Raccoon. Little Indian, Big Deer, Little Deer and Beaver creeks are small streams within the township.
Among the first settlers were Henry and John Rickabaugh who came in 1800. David Ridgeway came in 1803 as did Elnathan Barlow. William Ridgway settled in 1804. Adam Rickabaugh and Patrick Reed were also in the township very early. Nehemiah Wood arrived in 1805 as did W. M. Wood and Harrison Wood. John McCarley settled in about the same time.
The Village of Adamsville was laid out by Adam and William Rickabaugh. The Village of Harrisburg was laid out in 1837, by Samuel McCarley and Charles Tappin.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)