Location: Rathbrack, Killallon, Meath, Ireland
Rathbrack is a townland in Killallon Civil Parish, County Meath, Ireland. It is named for the ringfort located at 53.6673, -7.06715. A rath is a ringfort, and Rathbrack is taken to mean Speckled Ringfort by Patrick Weston Joyce's Origin and History of Irish Place Names. During the first half of the 1800s, Rathbrack was home to several households of Shaws, Floods, and Carrs who presumably had some degree of relation.
Based on baptism records for the children showing the same set of parents in the Clonmellon_Roman_Catholic_Parish_Registers, unless otherwise noted.
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. February 3, 1760. Sponsors [Murlagh?] Mulvanney and Anna [Flin?]. Plausible identity with Thomas Shaw married to Ann Farrall, listed below.
- Matthew Shaw, bapt. February 23, 1763. Sponsors Michael [Bragan?] and Bridget Coulan. Both father and son spelled Shaugh in baptismal record. Plausible identity with Matthew Shaw married to Bridget Monaghan, listed below.
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. Oct 24, 1785. Sponsors John Shaw and Alice Shaw.
- Ann Shaw, bapt. Dec 7, 1787. Sponsors Michael Glinni[s?] and Ann Glinni[s?].
- Ma[rgaret?] Shaw, bapt. Aug 22, 1792. Sponsors Chris Clinton and Ann [?].
- Betty Shaw, bapt. May 16, 1794. Sponsors Matthew [Springan?] and Mary [Springan?]
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. Apr. 14, 1797. Sponsors Michael [Springan?] and [Betty?] Shaw?
- Pierce Patrick Shaw, bapt. Oct 7, 1804. Sponsors Matthew Carr and Mary [Springan?]
- [Maria] Shaw, bapt. Feb 13, 1786. Sponsors [?] Shaw and Mary Reilly.
- Christopher Shaw, bapt. Nov 29, 1788. Sponsors Matthew Clinton and Mary [Springan?].
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. Jan 31, 1794. Sponsors John Carr and Mary [Springan?].
- Pierce Shaw, bapt. Aug 15, 1798. Sponsors James Clinton and Matthew Carr.
Christopher Shaw and Betty Gibney. m. July 16, 1789, in Killalon, witnesses Richard Shaw and [Cormish Midler?]. From Killacroy, the immediate eastern townland.
- Pierce Shaw, bapt. May 31, 1790. Sponsors Garret Shaw and Ann Glinni[s?]
- Mary Shaw, bapt. Aug 22, 1792. Sponsors Pat Reilly and Betty Glinni[s?] (This is Richard Shaw's wife.)
- Ann Shaw, bapt. Oct 17, 1794. Sponsors Dick Shaw and Ann Shaw. Mother listed as Ann Gibney.
Matthew Shaw and Bridget Monaghan.
- Mary Shaw, bapt. Dec 7, 1792. Sponsors Matthew Clinton and Ann Glinni[s?]
- Robert Shaw, bapt. June 7, 1794. Sponsors Michael Carr and Bridget Shaw.
Thomas Shaw and Ann Farrall. m Aug 31, 1787. Witnesses Garret Shaw and Margaret Brodle. Rathbrack.
- Bridget Shaw, bapt. Jan 24, 1791. Sponsors Michael Glinnin and Ann Gavan.
- Catherine Shaw, bapt. Nov 19, 1793. Sponsors James Smith and Maggy Brodle.
- John Shaw, bapt. Dec 4, 1797. Sponsors John Carr and Mary Farrall
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. May 9, 1799. Sponsors [?] Reilly and [?] Shaw
Matthew Shaw and Ann Glinnin. m. January 7, 1797. Witnesses Nelly Gartland? and Hugh Reilly. Rathbrack. No known connections to other family.
Patrick Shaw and Judy Springan.
Almost certainly this family had additional children. However, from 1809-1819, only a handful of entries were made in the baptismal records, likely due to the disruption from the Napoleonic wars (there was a similar gap during the American Revolution). It is a miracle that Matthew Shaw's record happened to be one of the few preserved.
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. Oct. 1, 1809. Sponsors Pat Clark and Jenny Byrne. Possibly the Thomas Shaw married to Ann Cook.
- Matthew Shaw, bapt. Feb. 12, 1815. Sponsors James Shaw and Mary Flood.
- Christopher Shaw, bapt. Oct. 26. Sponsors Patt Flood and Anne Hegardy. Townland not listed.
- Ann Shaw, bapt. July 20, 1824. Sponsors James Springan and Mary Shaw.
- Patrick, bapt. Mar 14, 1827. Sponsors Richard Shaw and Mary Fagan.
- Anne Shaw, bapt. Sept. 27, 1819. Sponsors Thomas Donnely and Anne Flynn.
- Rose Shaw, bapt. Feb 5, 1822. Sponsors Pat Flood and Christian Clinton.
- Mary Shaw, bapt. Jan 18, 1825. Sponsors Richard Shaw and Mary Clinton.
- Garret Shaw, bapt. Aug 10, 1827. Sponsor Catherine Shaw.
- Peggy Shaw, bapt. Aug 10, 1827. Sponsor Betty Shaw.
- Richard Shaw, bapt. Aug 14, 1828. Sponsors Matthew Shaw and Mary Shaw. Plausible identity with the Richard Shaw married to Jane Medcalf.
- Patrick Shaw, bapt. May 30, 1834. Sponsors Lawrence Flood and Bridget Shaw.
- Catherine Shaw, bapt. Sept 15, 1819. Sponsors William Ball and [Mary?] Ball.
- Thomas Shaw, bapt. April 4, 1822. Sponsors Richard Shaw and Christian Clinton.
- Richard Shaw, bapt. Mar 7, 1824. Sponsors Patrick Croghan and Ann Reilly.
- James Shaw, bapt. Apr 12, 1826. Sponsors [?] Clinton and Catherine Shaw.
- Christopher Shaw, bapt. June 7, 1828. Sponsors [Thomas?] Smyth and Ann Carr.
- Bridget Shaw, bapt. June 26, 1833. Sponsors Michael Flood and Mary Clinton.
- Elizabeth Shaw, bapt. Feb 7, 1836. Sponsors Lawrence Flood and Bridget Shaw.
- John Shaw, bapt. Aug 26, 1838. Sponsors John Flood and Ann Fragan.
- Garret Shaw, bapt May 29, 1828. Sponsors Peter [Cr?]oghan and Judy Briad[r?]y. Mulliganstown.
- Margaret Shaw, bapt. Sept 30, 1832.. Sponsors Hugh Cook and Margaret Carr. Mulliganstown.
- Catherine Shaw, bapt. Sept 16, 1834. Sponsors Matthew Shaw and Bridget Cook. First Child born in Rathbrack.
- Margaret Shaw, bapt. June 20, 1838. Sponsors [Jas] Cook and Bidy Shaw. Rathbrack.
- Hugh Shaw, bapt. March 25, 1842. Sponsors John Carr and Fanny Dunican. Killalon.
- Mary Shaw, bapt. April 27, 1844. Sponsors Lawrence Flood and Catherine Shaw. Rathbrack.
- Thomas George Shaw, born in Cleveland, Ohio. Documentary evidence for this relationship is currently insufficient, but it is cited on trees suggesting the entire family, including Thomas, migrated to Ohio.
- Gerald Shaw or Garret, bapt. March 14, 1856. Sponsors John Medkiff and Mary Shaw. Rathbrack.
- Richard Shaw, bapt. May 3, 1857. Sponsors Christopher Gl[i?]nnon and Anne Midkeff. Rathbrack.
- Anne Shaw, bapt. May 30, 1858. Sponsors William Lacy and Jane [Gilsenan?]. Killalon.
- Matthew Shaw, bapt. April 29, 1860. Sponsors [Michael?] Kelly and Anne Reily. Rathbrack.
- Patrick Shaw, bapt. May 15, 1856. Sponsors Michael Flood and Catherine Cook. Rathbrack.
- Anne Shaw, bapt. October 18, 1857. Sponsors James [Rei?]lly and Mary Winslow. Rathbrack.
- Catherine Shaw, bapt. October 18, 1859. Sponsors John Springan and [Alia?] B[ri?]ody. Rathbrack.
- John Shaw, bapt. December 7, 1861. Sponsors James Nugent and Bridget Murray. Killalon.
- Mary Shaw, bapt. October 28, 1864. Sponsors William Ball and Catherine Springan. Killa[lon?].
- Bridget Shaw, bapt. December 28, 1867. Sponsors John [Coyle?] and Julia Maguire. Rathbrack.
- Peter Shaw, bapt. May 3, 1870. Sponsors John Smyth and Margaret Springan. Rathbrack.
- James Shaw, born or bapt. May 15, 1863. No sponsor information or location recorded in text only collection.
Michael Carr and Catherine Shaw. Michael Carr and Matthew Shaw (m. Bridget Monaghan) were sponsors for each other's son's baptisms, suggesting that Catherine Shaw may be Matthew's sister.
- Matthew Carr, bapt. February 6, 1781. Sponsors [Gerardus?] and [Helena?] Shaw. Killalon
- Christopher Carr, bapt. January 13, 1786. Sponsors Matthew Shaw and Ann [F?]eegan. Rathbrack
Griffith's Valuation for Meath was completed on July 10th, 1855. The landlord, William Richard Annesley, 4th Earl Annesley, held all Rathbrack in Fee Simple, as he did many of the surrounding townlands.
Capital letters correspond to different tracts of land sharing the same number, and Lower case letters correspond to different collections of buildings on the same tract of land. These identifiers can be used to locate the corresponding properties and buildings on Griffith's maps. Griffith's maps and Griffith's Valuation were completed different years, so correlating them is always uncertain.
|No. and Letters of Reference to Map||Occupiers||Lessors||Description of Tenement||Area (ARP)||Land||Buildings||Total Annual Valuation|
|1a||Patrick Shaw||Earl of Annesley||House, offices, and land||70, 1, 36||26 10 0||1 10 0||28 0 0|
|1b||Earl of Annesley||In Fee||Land (fox cover)||1, 1, 15||0 10 0||-||0 10 0|
|2a||Lawrence Flood||Earl of Annesley||Offices and land||57, 3, 27||18 10 0||0 10 0||20 0 0|
|3a||Michael Flood||Earl of Annesley||Houses, offices and land||58, 0, 2||21 0 0||1 0 0||22 0 0|
|4a||Matthew Shaw||Earl of Annesley||Houses, offices and land||81, 2, 9||33 5 0||0 15 0||34 0 0|
|5A||Michael Carr||Earl of Annesley||Land||4, 1, 2||1 5 0||-||8 15 0 (w/ 5B)|
|5B a||Michael Carr||Earl of Annesley||Houses, offices and land||17, 1, 17||6 10 0||1 0 0||8 15 0 (w/ 5A)|
|6||Michael Carr||Earl of Annesley||Land||32, 3, 1(8?)||7 10 0||-||7 10 0|
|7a||Anne Carr||Earl of Annesley||Houses, offices and land||18, 3, 32||6 10 0||1 10 0||8 0 0|
|8A a||Mary Winslow||Earl of Annesley||Houses, offices and land||31, 0, 25||11 0 0||1 10 0||16 0 0 (w/ 8B)|
|8B||Mary Winslow||Earl of Annesley||Land||12, 0, 14||3 10 0||-||16 0 0 (w/ 8A)|
|9a||Richard Shaw||Earl of Annesley||House, offices, and land||22, 3, 25||5 18 0||0 12 0||6 10 0|
|10||...||...||Lough Shesk||2, 0, 3||-||-||-|
|...||...||...||Total||419, 3, 25||141 18 0||8 7 0||150 5 0|