See the discussion at the G2G post here: https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/751660/what-correct-father-lineage-welcome-passenger-miriam-short?show=751660#q751660
Known Facts and Sources
- McCracken includes the children as highly probable Welcome Claimants based on will of Isaac Ingram and includes other circumstantial evidence regarding the Short children.
- Baptism index records for Miriam and Adam. Miriam and Henry are named as parents at the baptism of Miriam Short on May 10, 1664 and Adam on May 30, 1666 in Ford, Sussex, England.
- Miriam Ingram Short is established as the mother of Ann, Adam and Miriam in the will of their maternal uncle Issac Ingram who died on board the Welcome and made his will on the ship before his death.
- Isaac Ingram (37) was from Gatton, Surrey, just north of the Sussex border. His is the last of four wills made on the Welcome that we possess; its date is September 26. Unmarried, he left £10 to each of three children - Adam, Miriam, and Anne - of his deceased sister, Miriam Short. He also left him all the goods he had with him on the Welcome. This certainly would imply that they were on the ship with him, for what good would household possessions and food in Pennsylvania be to three young people in England? Miriam was certainly onboard the Welcome, for she married another passenger, George Thompson, a few months after the ship arrived.
- Daughter Miriam Short appears in the early records of Chester County for her marriage to Welcome passenger George Thompson.
- Man named as Henry Short, Sr. died in Walberton, Sussex, England in 1675. Only an index record is available.
- Ancestry.com. UK, Extracted Probate Records, 1269-1975 [database on-line].
- Name: Short, Henry, senior
- Dates: 1675
- Place: Walberton, Sussex, England
- Book: Register 3.
- Collection: Sussex: Chichester - Calendar of Wills in the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Chichester, 1482-1800
- Volume: Wills Now Preserved in the Probate Registry at Chichester.
- Chapter: 1482-1800.
- Text: Short, Henry, senior, Walberton 26 69 1675
- Henry Short christened 21 Jun 1641, Walburton, Sussex, England son of Thomas and Agnes Short.
- Henry Short bap 9 May 1647, Walburton, Sussex, Father: Henry; Mother: Elizabeth 
- Henrie Short married to Elizabeth Bridham 31 Aug 1638.
- Name: Henrie Short
- Gender: Male
- Marriage Date: 31 Aug 1638
- Marriage Place: Walberton,Sussex,England
- Spouse: Elizabeth Bridham
Chronological List of "Short" Baptisms
Walberton - West Sussex from (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6PFW-TR?i=27)
- 1600 - John s. of John Mar 15
- 1603 - Joan d. of John Dec 11
- 1606 - Thomas s. of John Oct 25
- 1614 - Henry s. of John Oct 2
- 1632 - Anne d. of Thomas on Feb 3
- 1633 - John s. of John on Apr 28
- 1633 - Thomas s. of Thomas on Mar 12
- 1634 - Henry s. of John Mar 1
- 1636 - John s. of Thomas and Anne Nov 19
- 1638 - Thomas s. of John and Martha Mar 10
- 1639 - Twins, Elizabeth and Katherine d. of Henrie and Elizabeth Jan 12
- 1641 - Henry s. of Thomas and Agnes Jun 20
- 1642 - Adam s. of Henry and Elizabeth Mar 25
- 1644 - John s. of Henry Mar 2
- 1647 - Henry s. of Henry and Elizabeth May 9
- 1648 - James s. of Thomas Feb 16
- 1655 - Thomas s. of Henry Jul 2
- 1659 - Joane d. of Henry Nov 4
- 1662 - John s. of Henry and Joane Mar 8
- 1665 - Martha d. of John and Anne Nov 28
- 1667 - Elizabeth d. of John and Dorothy Sep 15
- 1668 - John s. of John and Anne Oct 15
- 1668 - John s. of John and Dorothy Jan 26
- 1670 - Anne d. of John and Dorothy May 28
- 1670 - Mary d. of Addam and Margaret Dec 26
- 1673 - John s. of John and Dorothy Aug 10
- 1673 - Henry s. of Henry and Mary Jan 31
- 1674 - Adam s. of Adam and Margaret Feb 14
- 1675 - Elizabeth d. of Henry and Mary Mar 20
- 1676 - Elizabeth b. of Adam and Margaret Dec 13
Burials found in the Walberton parish records at family search at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1K3-59Y?i=345
- 1638 - John Short the elder buried on 28 May 1638
- 1638 - Martha wife of John Short buried 11 Jan 1638
- 1638 - Thomas son of John Short buried 11 Jan 1638 (below mother and text reads "same day")
- 1639 - John Short buried 26 Mar 1639
- 1639 - Katherine daughter of Henry buried 1 Feb 1639
Purported Will of Henry Short Sr.
This will was found on an internet genealogy website. It did not include any identifying information as to it's origin or source documents. It is included here as an aid to our research.
- In the name of God Amen, the Sixteenth day of December Anno (Dui) 1675 I Henry Short sy ( ) of Walborton in the County of Sussex Vistua(l ) being Sick in body butt of perfect memory praised be to God do ordain & make this my last will & testament in manner & form following first I bequath my Soul to almighty God my Creator believing and hopeing to be (saved) by the (merrilly) & (mercy) of my Redeemer Christ Jesus And as for my (comporat?) Effects I Dispose of as followeth I will to my ( ) Son Adam Short Shall pay unto his Brother John Short five pounds, when he shall come to ye age of one twenty years out of that money (where owith) ( ) for Rent of my Copy ( ) which he as(uth) ... John I give likewise to Jane Short his Sister the like sum of Five pounds to be paid to her at the age above said ( ) I give to John Short & Joanne Short five pounds (apeice) to be paid to them out of my Goods w/I leave to my ( ) here after named after her decease Itm I give to my Son Adam Short two Shillings & (Six p.) One All ye rest of my goods and my Shalltlell; I give & bequeath to my loving wife Joane Short whom I make my whole Sole Exexutrix fo this my last will & testamt. In witnesse whereof I have hereunto sett my hand & Seal the Day & year above written /Henry Short/ Signed Sealed & delivered to be ( ) last Will and ..... (C-1589)
- The name of son Adam matches with the baptism of a Adam on 1642 which would have made him about 32 years old at the time of his father's death. His mother is named as Elizabeth in the record.
- Adam is instructed to provided 5£ to both John and Jane when the reach the age of 21. John was born in 1662. His mother is named as Joane in the record. He would have been 13 years old when Henry Sr. died. Jane (also spelled Joane) was born in 1659. No mother is named in the record. She would have been about 16 years old when Henry Sr. died.
- Based on the will, it would appear that Henry Sr. was married first to Elizabeth and second to Joane.
- Marriage record for Henry and Elizabeth Bridham in Walberton in 1638.
- Henry Short son of Henry likely died before 1675 as he is not named in his father's will but his older brother Adam is named.
- ↑ McCracken, George E. The Welcome Claimants Proved, Disproved and Doubtful with an Account of Some of Their Descendants. pgs. 473 - 480.
- ↑ England: Births and Christenings, 1538-1975. Online database. AmericanAncestors.org. New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2014. (Original index: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975. FamilySearch, 2014.)
- Name Miriam SHOART
- Birth 1664
- Original Text
- Record Type Birth
- Father Henry Shoart
- Mother Miriam
- Gender Female
- Christening Place FORD,SUSSEX,ENGLAND
- Christening Date 10 May 1664
- Film No. 0919118, 0416748, 416755
- Page 37173898
- ↑ "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5FR-P8Z : 11 February 2018, Adam Shoart, 30 May 1666); citing , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 919,118, 416,748, 416,755.
- Name Adam Shoart
- Gender Male
- Christening Date 30 May 1666
- Christening Date (Original) 30 MAY 1666
- Christening Place FORD,SUSSEX,ENGLAND
- Father's Name Henry Shoart
- Mother's Name Miriam
- ↑ "England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N5FR-P32 : 11 February 2018, Miriam Shoart, 10 May 1664); citing , index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 919,118, 416,748, 416,755.
- ↑ Tepper, Michael. "The Real Welcome Passengers". New World Immigrants: A Consolidation of Ship Passenger Lists and Associated Data from Periodical Literature. Vol. 1. Baltimore, 1980. pg. 261. https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/48115/NewWorldImmigrantsI-000501-261/205200
- ↑ Balderston, Marion. "The Real "Welcome" Passengers." Huntington Library Quarterly 26, no. 1 (1962): 31-56. doi:10.2307/3816843. https://www.jstor.org/stable/3816843?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents
- ↑ Futhey, J. Smith, and Gilbert Cope. History of Chester County, Pennsylvania. https://archive.org/details/cu31924005813518/page/n37 (Philadelphia: L.H. Everts, 1881) pg. 24
- ↑ "England, Sussex, Parish Registers, 1538-1910", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QQ-MCL3 : 11 March 2018), Henry Short, 1641. Transcript of original  Image of original document 
- ↑ https://www.findmypast.com/transcript?id=R_957911051<ref></ref><ref>"England, Sussex, Parish Registers, 1538-1910", database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2QQ-MWXW : 11 March 2018), Henry Short, 1647. Transcript [https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6PFD-FC?i=19] Original document [https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DY24-SWR?i=188]</li> <li id="_note-7">[[#_ref-7|↑]] "England Marriages, 1538–1973 ," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N66W-ZXN : 10 February 2018), Henrie Short and Elizabeth Bridam, 31 Aug 1638; citing Warlberton, Sussex, England, reference item 3, index based upon data collected by the Genealogical Society of Utah, Salt Lake City; FHL microfilm 1,041,570.</li></ol></ref>