Location: Mount Vernon, Fairfax, Virginia
Surnames/tags: Washington Slavery
The River Farm property was established in 1653–54 by Giles Brent and his wife, Mary Kittamaquund, a princess of the Piscataway tribe. Brent received a grant of 1,800 acres (7.3 km2) named Piscataway Neck. In 1739 his successor George Brent transferred the property to his brother-in-law William Clifton, who renamed the property Clifton's Neck. In 1757 Clifton completed the brick house. Clifton sold the land to neighbor, George Washington, who obtained the property for £1,210 through a bankruptcy sale in 1760. Washington changed the name of Clifton's Neck to River Farm. River Farm was passed down through two immediate generations of Washingtons and later sold with 652 acres of Washington's original land to the Snowden brothers of New Jersey.
- Mary (Smith) Ball Lee is recorded in President George Washington's papers as having sold him 4 slaves: 
It is unclear where they were situated.
List of Negroes at River Farm 1786
1786 River Farm List of Negro Women Brought over (18) (from where we don't know) with a list of their children and 4 men on the Mill.
|NAMES||DISTINCTIONS||PLACES OF ABODE||CHILDREN||AGES|
|Agnus||Labouring Women||River Plant||Hucky||1|
|Suck||Labouring Women||River Plant||Rose||12|
|Suckey||Labouring Women||River Plant||Cynthia||6|
|Judy . m||Labouring Women||River Plant||Will||13|
|Judy . j||Labouring Women||River Plant|
|Hannah||Labouring Women||River Plant||Joe||12|
|Cornelia||Labouring Women||River Plant||Ambrose||1 mo|
|Lidia||Labouring Women||River Plant||Ned||7|
|Esther||Labouring Women||River Plant||Peter||5|
|Cloe||Labouring Women||River Plant||Phabe||3|
|Fanny||Labouring Women||River Plant|
|Alice||Labouring Women||old woman|
|Ferry Doll's||River Plant||James||2|
|Neck Doll's||River Plant||Bett||7|
|House Sal's||River Plant||Milly||7|
Names of 4 men on the same 1786 list for River Farm
|NAMES||DISTINCTIONS||PLACES OF ABODE|
Slavery at River Farm 1799
There were fifty-seven slaves living on River Farm in 1799, of whom twenty-seven were owned by George Washington. The other thirty slaves were dower slaves from the Custis estate, owned by Marth Washington. Nineteen of the individuals living at River Farm were children younger than eleven, and thirty-eight were "adults" older than eleven. Of those thirty-eight adults, nine had spouses living elsewhere, while five couples lived together at River Farm. Three of the family groups at River Farm in 1799 were comprised of the children of women who had passed away by the time of the list's composition. Because so many of those children were quite young, they were probably being raised by relatives, but their extended family members cannot be identified. By 1799, twenty-seven of the thirty-eight adults (71.05%) had been living at River Farm for at least thirteen years, since 1786.
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Farm
- ↑ Entry for Mary Smith Ball Lee. The Washington Papers, Center for Digital Editing, University of Virginia. (accessed 2 Feb 2022). Live Link and Archived Link
- ↑ The Washington Papers, Center for Digital Editing, University of Virginia. General Ledger A, 1750 - 1772 p261, image 2 [Washington]. Image 2
- ↑ http://catalog.mountvernon.org/digital/collection/p16829coll11/id/314/rec/1
- ↑ https://www.mountvernon.org/library/digitalhistory/digital-encyclopedia/article/slavery-at-river-farm/