Location: Rowley Regis, West Midlands, England
Surname/tag: Staffordshire, Worcestershire, St Giles, Fire,
Modern day Rowley Regis is one of six 'towns' that were merged in 1974 to make up the Sandwell Metropolitan Borough in the county of West Midlands, England, the others were Oldbury, Smethwick, Tipton, Wednesbury and the largest West Bromwich.
In it's early history, Rowley was a village centred around St Giles Church approximately two miles south east of Dudley, in the 12 centuary the term Regis was added to signify the area was part of the King's hunting ground. In 1894 it became part of an Urban District made up of Rowley, Blackheath, Cradely Heath and Old hill which in 1933 transformed into a Municipal borough which lasted until 1966 when it combined with neighbouring Oldbury and Smethwick to form Warley District Council.
Rowley Regis was for much of it's history considered to be in the county of Staffordshire and is referenced as such by many genealogical records including those found on the FreeBDM, FreeCen and FreeReg webs sites.