Surnames/tags: Saarland Germany
Saarland, Germany/Saarland, Deutschland
This page was created to offer a place to collaborate on Saarland research. You can ask questions in the comments below or offer suggestions on new resources to attach to our resources list.
How Can You Help Improve Profiles In This Region?
- There are extensive profile improvements that need to be done in this region and we could really use your help. See links, below.
- Members with knowledge of this region can answer questions and offer guidance on this page, our Google Group and on G2G.
- Ensure the information and links on this page are up-to-date (especially for archival and research site information)
- Do you live in Saarland? You can offer archive, library, church, etc. research visits for other members.
- Create new Space pages for region-specific geographical, topical, or other, that include images, history, and anything helpful for collaborating and helping other researchers.
- We'd appreciate your help with sourcing, connecting, merging and fixing database errors on the profiles in this region. Click the links below to get lists of profiles in Saarland that need some love (click "get profiles" in the left column to generate a list):
- UNSOURCED PROFILES: to get a list of unsourced profiles that need reliable sources added, click HERE. For more information/instruction on sourcing, see Germany Project Sourcerers Team
- UNCONNECTED PROFILES: to get a list of unconnected profiles that need to be connected to the main tree, click HERE. For more information/instruction on connecting profiles, see Germany Project Connectors Team
- UNMERGED MATCHES: To get a list of unmerged matches that need research and sourcing, with the goal to ultimately merge or reject the match, click HERE. For more information/instruction on merging and unmerged matches, see Germany Project Arborists Team
- SUGGESTIONS: To get a list of suggestions aka database errors that need data doctor attention, click HERE. For more information/instruction on clearing database errors, see Germany Project Data Doctors Team.
Overview of Saarland
- Flag and Coat of Arms:
- State of the Federal Republic of Germany: 1957
- Capital: Saarbrücken
- English: Saarland
- German: Saarland
|Saarland location in Germany|
- Saarland, located in western Germany, is the smallest state in both area and population except for the city states of Berlin, Bremen, and Hamburg. Saarbrücken is the state capital and largest city, while other major cities include Neunkirchen and Saarlouis. During its existence it has belonged to Prussia, Bavaria, France and now Germany. It has the distinction of being the state with the most church affiliated people: Roman Catholics: 57.6%; Evangelical Protestants: 17.7%; Other or none: 24.6%.
- Saarland is bounded by the state of Rhineland-Palatinate to the north and east and by the countries of France to the south and southwest and Luxembourg to the northwest.
- Coordinates: 49°22′59″N 6°49′59″E
- Meyers Gazetteer - search page
- GoogleMaps: Saarland Map
- Wikipedia: Historical Map of the Saarland
- Britannica: Saarland
- FamilySearch: Saarbeckengebiet map
- FamilySearch: Saarland, administrative divisions
- This area of Germany has changed hands over 200 times in its history. It has belonged to Germany, France, Prussia, the Holy Roman Empire, and others.
- Genealoger.com: Saarland
- FamilySearch: Saarland, Germany Genealogy
- Info Please: Saarland: History
- History Today: The Saar plebiscite - Richard Cavendish remembers January 13th 1935
- Zum.de: History of the Saarland
- Saarland.de: Saarland History
- Germany has a number of different cultures. Due to its location it has a lot of French influences and is a largely Roman Catholic area of Germany. It has a number of peaceful natural areas including lakes, meandering waterways, forests, wineries, small lovely quaint towns, large modern cities, and it hosts a film festival for German directors. Major cities in Saarland, besides its capital Saarbrücken, are Völklingen, Saarlouis, and Sankt Ingbert. It’s cuisine is a blend of French and German with a love of the potato called Grumbeeren.
- Wikipedia: Botanischer Garten der Universität des Saarlandes, the university's botanical garden
- Wikipedia: The Hermann-Neuberger-Sportschule is located next to the Saarland University campus and hosts the Olympiastützpunkt Rheinland-Pfalz/Saarland that is the Olympic Training Center for Rheinland-Pfalz and Saarland.
- My Germany City: Saarland - Part Of World Cultural Heritage
- Trip 101: 7 Best Things To Do In Saarbrücken, Germany
- Tripmondo: Sankt Wendel in Saarland - Destination Guide
- Google Arts and Culture: Das Saarland
- The Crazy Tourist: 15 Best Things to Do in Saarbrücken
- GermanFoods.org: Saarland: the French-German Connection
- The Culture Trip: 10 Things You Didn't Know About the Saarland, Germany
Research Help and Regional Resources
Online Resource Compilations
- Genealogy.net: Online Familienbücher aka OFBs (regional family books). Also see THIS PAGE for Familienbücher that are not available online, but our members will do lookups for you.
- Routes.de: Regional Emigrant Lists + Online Databases
- Genealoger.com: German Genealogy - Saarland
- FamilySearch: Saarbrücken Germany Center for Family History
- The Ancestor Hunt: free online resources for international newspapers: see the section for Germany.
- Genealogy.net: GenWiki, main page
- German Roots.com: German Genealogy Resources on the Internet
- WikiTree Category: Germany Genealogy Resources
- WikiTree: Germany Project Resources
- FamilySearch: Saarland, Germany Civil Registration
- FamilySearch: Saarland Online Genealogy Records
- Archion.de: Protestant church records ($subcription site)
- Matricula: Catholic Church records
- FamilySearch: Germany Online Genealogy Records
- FamilySearch: German Church Records
- FamilySearch: German Civil Registration
- FamilySearch: Saarland, Germany Church Records
- Trip Advisor: Churches & Cathedrals in Saarland
- JoinMyChurch.com: Churches in Saarbruecken, SL
- UWW.edu: Berus Church Records
- Yelp: The Best 10 Churches in Saarbrücken, Saarland, Germany
- WikiMedia Category: Roman Catholic churches in Saarland
- Gameo: Saar Amish Mennonite Church (Saarland, Germany)
- FamilySearch: Germany Church Directories
- FamilySearch: German Jewish Records
- Wikipedia: Religion in Germany
- Germany Genealogy Group: German Emigration Database
- Historisches Museum Bremerhaven: German Emigrant Database
- Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild: Transcribed Ships Manifests Departing from Germany. Ports of departure include: Altona, Bremen, Bremerhaven, Cuxhaven, Geestemunde, Hamburg, Stettin, Swinemunde (currently Swinoujscie, Poland), German Unspecified Ports
- GermanRoots.com: Online German Emigration Records, Lists and Indexes
- GermanyRoots: Ship's Database
- WikiTree Immigration/Emigration Categories:
- FindAGrave: Cemeteries in Saarland
- Cybo.com: Cemeteries And Crematoriums in Homburg, Saarland
- BillionGraves: Cemeteries in Saarland
Colleges and Universities
- They often have local records and have professors who are versed in local lore so can be a wonderful resource and many are multilingual.
- Wikipedia: Saarland University. Bilingual German and French staff, offers an integrated bilingual (French-German) course for prospective teachers of geography and history
- CollegeWikipedia: Top Universities in Saarland
- Wikipedia Category: Universities and colleges in Saarland
Local Phone Books
Local Genealogy Groups
WikiTree Free Space Pages and One Place Studies
- Have you created a page that you'd like included below? Add a profile comment below with a link to what you would like to contribute. The following pages were created by our project members:
- Add yours HERE
In Germany a number of different written languages and dialects were used. Below are some links to sites which may help you with old documents.
- Germany Handwriting
- Brockhaus 1894 Deutsche Mundarten (map)
- Latin phrases because many old records are written in Latin this is a handy list of commonly used Latin phrases.
- Genealogy Glossary of multiple languages using common genealogy related words.
Last updated by Thiessen-117 19 Jul 2022