Location: St Barthélemy
Surnames/tags: Saint-Barthélemy One_Place_Studies France
Saint-Barthélemy One Place Study
This is the main page for the One Place Study of Saint-Barthélemy and its people. It focuses on how a few men and women from Saint-Christophe and mainland France survived the harsh environment of the tiny Caribbean Island to not only populate it but have descendants branch out to the rest of the Caribbean, the United States, and return to Europe.
It covers the following:
- Continent: Caribbean
- Country: France
- State/Province:Collectivités Françaises d'Outre-Mer
- GPS Coordinates: 17.9, -62.833333
- Elevation: 42.0 m or 137.8 feet
The History of Saint-Barthélemy which details the history of the Island from its "discovery" by Christopher Columbus, French Settlement, Sale to Sweden, Repurchase by France and finally present day.
The People of Saint-Barthélemy are comprised mostly of the descendants of the first settlers who were of Breton, Norman, Poitevin, Saintongeais and Angevin lineage. As French citizens, the population speaks French with a French patois spoken in the leeward portion of the Island and a French Créole spoken in the windward side. There is also a small population on the Island that speaks English.
The population is separated into two paroisses (parishes):
|Paroisse Sous le Vent||Paroisse Au Vent|
|Flamands||Morne de Dépoudré|
|Grande Vigie||Anse du Gouverneur|
|La Grande Montagne||Petite Saline|
|Anse des Lézards||Lorient|
|Anse des Cayes||Barrière des Quatre Vents|
|Col de la Tourmente||Toiny|
|Quartier du Roi||Devet|
|Lurin||Anse de Grand Cul-de-Sac|
Archives nationales d'outre-mer
""Archives départmentales de la guadeloupe""
Mémoire St Barth | History of St Barts Island
The Saint-Barth Islander
Le peuplement de Saint-Barthélemy by Jean Deveau
Right now this unoffical project just has one member, me. I am Lynnette Dovy.
Here are some of the tasks that I think need to be done. I'll be working on them, and could use your help.
- Developing guidelines for this project.
- Identifying resources for research.
- Historical research and development of free space pages.
- Making sure that place names are historically correct for ancestors born under French and Swedish rule.
- I am interested in the history of the place and its people, pictures of the different eras and people would help to tell the tale of this interesting place.
This project can use the help of Native French speakers who will be an immense help in translating records, I am can read and understand a little French but some things are very difficult for me.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: One Place Studies Project WikiTree and Lynnette Dovy. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)