Location: Saint James, Smithtown, Suffolk, New York, United States
Surname/tag: St. James Episcopal Church
|St. James Episcopal Church Graveyard|
Cemetery name: St. James Episcopal Church Graveyard
Address: 490 North Country Road, St James, Smithtown, New York, United States
GPS Coordinates: 40.8836863,-73.1661299
This is the graveyard at St. James Episcopal Church, 490 North Country Road, St James, New York. St James Episcopal Cemetery is a beautiful traditional local cemetery, open to all. It lies directly behind the church, and is the final resting place of many of the founding families of the town of Smithtown, as well as of Stanford White, Whitman Knapp, and Patrick Dennis.
- Stanford White
- Patrick Dennis/Edward Everett Tanner III, an American author whose novel Auntie Mame: An irreverent escapade (1955) was one of the bestselling American books of the 20th century. Section K, Plot 218a, Grave 1, shared with his wife, Louise Frith Stickney Tanner
- Percy Whitman Knapp, a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Previous to that service, he led a far-reaching investigation into corruption in the New York City Police Department from 1970 to 1972.
- Edward Henry Smith, US Congressman; elected as a Democrat to represent New York's 1st District in the United States House of Representatives, serving from March 4, 1861 to March 3, 1863.
- Stanford White, celebrated New York architect, McKim, Mead and White
- Percy Whitman Knapp (1909-2004)
- Edward Henry Smith (1809-1885)
- Elizabeth Carteret Smith (1816-1897)
- Mary Augusta Smith (1834-1902)
- Marta Sabine (Svendsen) Steen (1890-1975)
- Poul Waldemar (Sørensen Steen) Steen (1886-1968)
- Edward Everett Tanner III (1921-1976)
- Stanford White (1853-1906)
Wikipedia entry for the graveyard