Location: Buffalo Grove, Cook, Illinois, United States
Surnames/tags: Illinois History United States
Saint Mary Parish was the first church built in the village of Buffalo Grove, Illinois. Local farmers raised $300,000, purchased and donated 7 acres of land within a year to complete the simple building project in 1852. Though the first church was burned by arsonists in 1885, the second church stands to this day. Succeeding years saw the church grow to include a school, stained glass windows, altars, and bell tower. The 100 year anniversary of Saint Mary Parish was commemorated by Cardinal Stritch through blessing and dedication of Saint Mary School in 1947. The publication of this dedication includes village founding family genealogies. Saint Mary Parish and School remain an integral part of Buffalo Grove history.
- St. Mary Catholic Church, Solemn blessing & dedication of St. Mary's School, Buffalo Grove, Illinois : by his eminence Samuel Alphonsus Cardinal Stritch, Cardinal Archbishop of Chicago, October 5, 1947; on the hundredth anniversary of the First Holy Mass in Buffalo Grove, Illinois, celebrated by the Reverend John H. Fortmann, pastor, St. Joseph's Church, Gross Point, Ill. in the fall of 1847 (n.p.: n.pub., 05 Oct 1947).