upload image

Saint Mildred Breadstreet

Privacy Level: Open (White)
Date: [unknown] [unknown]
Location: London, Englandmap
Surnames/tags: London England
Profile manager: Wes Miller private message [send private message]
This page has been accessed 34 times.

The date of the first building of St. Mildred's Church is unknown, but it is thought that it was built and partly endowed by Lord Trenchaunt of St. Albans, who was buried in the Church around A.D. 1300. Near him was buried Sir John Shadworth, mayor of London in 1401, who gave to the Church a parsonage house, revestry, and churchyard.

As early as 1307, Henry, son of William de Arderne, gave, granted, and confirmed, for the maintenance of one Chaplain to celebrate divine services in the Church of St. Mildred on Bread Street, five marks and forty pence of quit rent from certain tenements which formerly were of Robert de Turnay, in the Parish of St. Lawrence in the Jewry.

During Henry VIII's reign, two priests quarreled and fought in the church, and the church was closed for one month, and the two priests did penance in procession through the streets.

St. Mildred's Church was burnt down in the Great Fire of 1666. The only portions that remain of the old building are the walls that support the floor of the present Church. It was rebuilt by Wren and opened on March 23rd, 1683, at a cost of £3705 13s. 6 1/4d.

Sources

  • The Registers of St. Mildred, Bread Street and of St. Margaret Moses, Friday Street, London, Edited by W. Bruce Bannerman, F.S.A., secretary and treasurer to the society, London, 1912.




Collaboration
  • Login to edit this profile and add images.
  • Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
  • Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)


Comments

Leave a message for others who see this profile.
There are no comments yet.
Login to post a comment.