Location: Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
This article is a stub. Anything you can add to it is appreciated.
Present day Savage Cove is an amalgamation of two older communities. Sandy Cove (previously known as Poverty Cove), and Savage Cove. It has a current-day population of 133 people.
Since the early 18th century, Savage Cove was used as a French staging harbour, on the French Shore of Newfoundland. Once dubbed Anse aux Sauvages (Cove of Savages) by French seamen who had most likely encountered a Beothuk settlement in the area, the harbour was permanently settled in the 1830s by an English seaman named George Gaulton.
The English seamen of the time had come to know the harbour as Savage Cove. The English name was finalized after the French relinquished their rights to the area in 1904 under the Entente cordiale. Nearby Poverty Cove was settled by Thomas White and George Coles of Devonshire, England along with the former's wife Ann Gould of Anchor Point in 1843. They were hired by the French to protect French possessions on the shore during the winter. After the early 20th century, Poverty Cove became known as Sandy Cove.