Location: Henrico Virginia Colony
Surnames/tags: Robertson Townes
Faulty Pedigree Notes
This Space page was written by Allan Harl Thomas
This Space page by Allan Harl Thomas is a collection of sources pertaining to Scotch Will and thoughts
In 1937, Colonel William Curry Harlee, the author of Kinfolks: A Genealogical and Biographical Record, wrote of the Seaver lineage that he had
- ...seen a letter from a person in Edinburgh, Scotland, who stated that for a consideration, ten pounds, he would "allude" to connections of royalty and nobility [in the line].... [The researcher] "alluded" to the Royal Stuarts, the Barons of Strowan, [and] the "House of Lude,"
Robertson Family Records, published by J. Montgomery Seaver, 1928, is a fraudulent work. This Wlm. "Scotch Will" Robertson signed his will with an "X". Mr. Seaver combined this William with another William "Scotch Bill or Billy" Robertson who actually was educated in Scotland.
"Colonial Families in the United States of America", Authors: Mackenzie & Rhoades, 1907: Known as "Scotch Bill" for the reason he was sent back to Scotland for education. Inherited lands in Chesterfield County VA and reared a large family. His will is dated 18th April 1774; Married Sarah Towns.
"Prominent Families of the United States of America", Author: Burke: States that this William Robertson inherited lands in Chesterfield County VA and served in the Colonial Wars. Married to Sarah Towns with 6 children (John, William, James, Archibald, Martha, Ann).
If William Robertson, Clerk of the Council, died in 1739 leaving an only daughter, then there is an incorrect connection between William Robertson, Clerk of the Council, with William Jr., "Scotch Will or Bill", and John Robertson who lived on Sappony (and Winterpock) Creek and married Ann Walthall.
I believe this is the will of William "Scotch Will" Robertson: Will of WILLIAM ROBERTSON, dated 18 April 1774, Will Book 2, p. 340, Chesterfield County, VA
- Two of Williams daughters married two sons of Jeffrey Robertson II and Judith (Tanner) Robertson ( Matthew and Mills Robertson) Jeffrey and Judith also had a son named Tyree who's surname evolved into Robinson.
My theory is they, Jeffrey Robertson II and William Robertson were cousins (but not 1st cousins). Jeffrey also had a brother named William. I believe he is this William Robertson. More research is needed to establish him as the son of Jeffrey I
- "Scotch Will" 's son John Robertson had descendants.
- Walthall, has descendants
- John Jr.
- William. William has a direct descendant, Thomas "Tom" Heard Robertson Jr. who edited and published Resisting Sherman: A Confederate Surgeon's Journal.
Who was "Scotch Will"'s Father?
- The late Tom Robertson debunking the genealogy of James Robertson of Tennessee