Created 26 February 1668 for James Douglas, in Dumfriess-shire, it is part of the Baronetage of Nova Scotia. The following individuals held the title:
- James Douglas, 1st Bt; died 1707 and was succeeded by his son, William.
- William Douglas, 2nd Bt; died 1733 and was succeeded by his son, John.
- John Douglas, 3rd Bt; was a member of Parliament for Dumfriesshire. He was succeeded by his son, William.
- William Douglas, 4th Bt; was a member of Parliament for Dumfries Burghs. He was succeeded by his son, Charles.
- Charles Douglas, 5th Bt; succeeded William Douglas, 4th Duke of Queensberry, as Marquess of Queensberry and the title of Baronet of Kelhead was merged with that of Marquess of Queensberry and remains so to this day.