Location: Sedgwick, Hancock, Maine, United States
Surnames/tags: One_Place_Studies Maine Hancock_County_Maine
Sedgwickis a town in Hancock County, incorporated in 1789 and was settled in 1759 by Andrew Black, the town's modern name is in honor of Major Robert Sedgewick who captured three important trading posts from the French: Pentagoet (Castine) and Saint John and Port Royal, now in Canada. The original name, Naskeag, derives from the Indian term for the end or the extremity. Naskeag Point, now in the adjoining town of Brooklin, extends into Blue Hill Bay. The southern portion of Sedgwick fronts on Eggemoggin Reach and the broad lower portion of the Benjamin River.
|-1534||name unknown||Wabanaki peoples - Penobscot tribes perhaps others|
|1534-1760||Nouvelle France||Under French control, no known European settlers|
Lincoln, Massachusetts Bay
|France surrenders September 8, 1760, Britain officially takes control of the area|
|1762||Plantation Number 4, Lincoln, Massachusetts Bay|
Naskeag Plantation, Lincoln, Massachusetts Bay
|1762 Land grants include Township No. 4 East of The Penobscot Livermore Survey|
|1776||Plantation Number 4, Lincoln, Massachusetts||America declares independence from Britain July 4, 1776|
|1789||Sedgwick, Lincoln, Massachusetts||Sedgwick incorporated January 14, 1789 from Plantation Number 4|
|1789||Sedgwick, Hancock, Massachusetts||Hancock County is formed June 25, 1789|
|1820||Sedgwick, Hancock, Maine||Maine becomes the 23 state March 15, 1820|
|1831||Sedgwick, Hancock, Maine||A portion of Sedgwick was set of to Blue Hill in 1831|
|1849||Sedgwick, Hancock, Maine||A portion of Sedgwick was set of to form Port Watson now Brooklin on June 9, 1849|
|1857||Sedgwick, Hancock, Maine||A portion of Sedgwick was set of to Penobscot in 1857|
Villages, Locations and Settlements
|Black Corner||Three corners near Brooksville town line & South part of West Sedgwick.|
|Caterpillar Hill||(image below)|
|Grays Corner||The three corners at West Sedgwick.|
|Oak Hill||Located East of Bagaduce Falls on Lower Bagaduce River|
|Sargentville||Near Billings Cove on "the Reach" & just East of Deer Isle Bridge.|
|Township No. 5 East of Penobscot River|
|Plantation No. 2|
Noted: Pioneer Settlers:_ Samuel Cane (abt.1721-aft.1797) Settlement at Sedgwick 1770 (He was sometimes shown as Samuel Case or Cave) The Maine historical magazine
- Sedgwick on Google Maps
Wasson's A survey of Hancock County, Maine:
Sedgwick.—Incorporated (2-59, that is, the 2d in the county and the 59th in the State), January 12, 1789. Population, 1,113. Decennary loss, 150. Wealth, per capita, $180. State valuation, $197,706. United States valuation, $285,696. Named in honor of Maj. Robert Sedgwick. Plantation name "Naskeag." By the earlier adventurers it was called "Nasket." In a " census of the people in this region," in 1688, two French families, of eight souls, were found at Naskeag Point. The first permanent settler was Andrew Black (Blake?), in 1759. Four years after, came Goodwin Reed, John Black and Daniel Black, and two years later Reuben Gray " moved in" from Penobscot. The first white child, Elizabeth (who lived to a great age), was born in 1759. First minister, Daniel Merrill. The descendants of Reuben Gray are exceedingly numerous. They preserve their prolificness, and other family traits, unimpaired down to the latest generation. In 1817, 5,000 acres were cut off and annexed to Brooksville. In 1849, about 8,800 acres were taken off to form the town of Brooklin. Benjamin, its only river, is little else than a spur of Eggmoggin Reach. Its first post office was established in 1812. Now, it boasts of a telegraph station. Union soldiers, 120 ; State aid, $1,464 ; town bounty, $8,712 ; cost per recruit, $85.
Prof. Burns, Superintendent of the Burns mine, Ames- bury, has taken charge of the Eggmoggin mine, Sedgwick, Me. It has a capital of $200,000, and reduction works have recently been erected at a cost of $40,000. There are 500 tons of ore at the Philadelphia mint which will average $100 a ton.
Varney's Gazetteer of the state of Maine has the following:
SEDGWICK is situated in the south-western part of Hancock County, having Bluehill on the north-east, Brooksville on the northwest, Brooklin on the south-east, and Eggemoggin Reach (a part of Penobscot Bay) on the south-west. The area is about 14,000 acres. There are two or more ponds in the northern part of the town connected with Bagaduce River. The streams are Sargent's, Frost's Pond Stream Thurston Brook, Black Brook, Camp Stream, and Benjamin River,—all of a size to carry mills. The latter is a tide-power. Benjamin's River and Sargent's Stream each has a grist-mill and the other saw mills. Other manufactures are ship building, tanning and cooperage. Sedgwick has two companies—Eagle Brook Silver and Eggemoggin Silver— engaged in mining argentiferous galena. The latter has a capital of $200,000, and reduction works were erected a few years since at a cost of $40,000. The villages are Sedgwick, Sargentville, and North Sedgwick. The town is about 24 miles south-westerly of Ellsworth, and is the stage line to Bucksport, which terminates at Sargentville. The town has two excellent harbors. The surface is broken and leadgy. The underlying rock is granite. A large part of the town is suitable for sheep-grazing rather than for cultivation. Along the shore of Eggemoggin Reach, from Sedwick to Sargentville, the soil is easy of cultivation and quite productive. A large part of the occupation of the inhabitants is connected with the sea.
Sedgwick was one of six townships granted by Massachusetts in 1761 to David March and 359 others. They were to be 6 miles square, and located contiguously between the Penobscot and Union Rivers. The grantees bound themselves to settle each township with 60 Protestant families within six years after obtaining the king's approbation, and to fit for tillage 300 hundred acres of land, build a meeting-house, and settle a minister. In a " census of the people of this region," in 1688, two French families of eight persons were found at Naskeag Point. The first permanent settler was Andrew Black, in 1759. Four years later came Captain Goodwin Reed, John and Daniel Black, and two years after these, Reuben Gray moved in from Penobscot. His descendants are very numerous. In 1789, the General Court confirmed to each settler 100 acres of land. The town was incorporated the same year, being named in honor of Major Robert Sedgewick. In 1817, 5,000 acres were set off to form Brooksville ; and again in 1849, about 9,000 acres were set off to form the town of Brooklin. The first minister of Sedgwick was Daniel Merrill. The. two churches now in the town belong to the Baptist denomination. Sedgwick has 10 public schoolhouses, valued at $5,000. Tlie valuation of estates in 1870 was $197,706. In 1880 it was $188,605. The population in 1870 was 1,113. In 1880, it was 1,128.
- Web Sites:
- Historical Society
- Maine Genealogy Net
- Family Search
- WikiPedia * Wikipedia:Lamoine, Maine
- Maine Encyclopedia
- Settlers of Sedgwick, 1785 TAKEN 1785, NOVEMBER 16.
- WikiTree Family Tree for Nicholas Cane (b. 1680) son Samuel Cane Early at Sedgwick https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Cane-95
- Sedgwick, Maine 1799-1809 Vital Statistics by Grace M Grindle Limeburner
- Maine Genealogy Resources for Genealogists and Family Historians Sedgwick
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Darryl Rowles, Adrian Stanley, and One Place Studies Project WikiTree. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)