Surnames/tags: Sharp Sharpe
About the Project
The Sharp Name Study project serves as a collaborative platform to collect information on the Sharp name. The hope is that other researchers like you will join the study to help make it a valuable reference point for other genealogists who are researching or have an interest in the Sharp name.
As a One Name Study, this project is not limited to persons who are related biologically. Individual team studies can be used to branch out the research into specific methods and areas of interest, such as geographically (England Sharps), by time period (18th Century Sharps), or by topic (Sharp DNA, Sharp Occupations, SharpStatistics). These studies may also include a number of family branches which have no immediate link with each other. Some researchers may even be motivated to go beyond the profile identification and research stage to compile fully sourced, single-family histories of some of the families they discover through this name study project.
Also see the related surnames and surname variants.
How to Join
To join the Sharp Name Study, first start out by browsing our current teams to see if there is a specific study ongoing that fits your interests. If so, feel free to add your name to the Membership list below, post an introduction comment on the specific team page, and then dive right in!
Once you are ready to go, you can also show your project affiliation with the ONS Member Sticker:
- SHARP-5633 Thomas Joseph Sharp of Ramsey, Isle of Man. I am interested in tracing his Isle of Man ancestry and earlier 18th century origins.
Related Surnames and Surname Variants
- Add Category:Sharp Name Study to early Sharpe Ancestors (born before 1800) profiles with well sourced profiles
- Review Wikitree DNA list for Sharpe DNA connections
Wikitree DNA Takers
The following link shows the Wikitree Sharpe Profiles that have DNA associated with them:
Useful Links in Wikitree
- There is a Category:Sharp County, Arkansas
- There is a Category:Sharp, Texas
- There is a Category:Sharpe, Kentucky
- There were 201 Sharp(e) Heads of Household in the US 1790 Census, including PA: 65; NY: 43; NC: 32; CT: 19; MD: 15; SC: 13; MA: 6; VT: 6; NH: 1; RI: 1; VA: 0; DE: 0; GA: 0
- There are 159 Sharp Cemeteries and 34 Sharpe Cemeteries in the United States
- There were 378 Sharp(e) born in 1790 with birth records in England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- The earliest birth for a sourced Sharpe profile in WIkitree is William Sharp (1458-1525)
- The earliest Sharp(e) edited that is publicly viewable in Wikitree is Beulah Sharp