Location: Natchitoches, Louisiana
Surnames/tags: Poissot slaveowners slaves
This page is an in-progress compilation of church and civil records mentioning Remy Poissot.
- From Mills, Elizabeth Shown. Natchitoches (Vol. II) Abstracts of the Catholic Church Registers of the French and Spanish Post of St. Jean Baptiste des Natchitoches in Louisiana: 1729-1803 (New Orleans, LA: Polyanthos, 1977).
- 278. MARCEL. January 27, 1747, baptism of Marcel, négrillon born of a négresse belonging to Poissot, habitant. Godparents: Gabriel Buard (x) and Madame Le Brun.
- 291. FRANCOIS. July 15, 1748, baptism of Francois, négrillon born of a négresse belonging to Sieur Poisot. Godparents: Francois Doucet (s) and Jeanne [Chever dite] Dufrene (x).
- 543. MARIE LOUISE. September 3, 1752, baptism of Marie Louise, négritte born of a négresse belonging to Sieur Poisot. Godfather unnamed; godmother: Elisabeth Garein (x).
- 607. MARGUERITTE. December 7, 1755, baptism of Margueritte, négritte born of a négresse belonging to [Remy Poisot dit] Bourguignon. Godparents: Jean Francois Bretton (s) and Marguerite le Roy.
- 669. MARIE JOSEPHE. November 27, 1757, baptism of Marie Josephe, négritte of Sieur Bourgingnon dit Poisotte. Godparents: Julien Poisotte (x) and Marie Josephe du Verge (s/ Marie Joseph Dupres).
- 697. FRANCOIS. February 25, 1759, baptism of Francois, négre of Sieur Remy Poisseau. No godparents named.
- 709. ELEANORE. August 21, 1759, baptism of Eleanore, négrillone of Sr. Poisot dit Bourguignon. Godparents: Remy Poissot and Marie, wife of Marin Grillier (x).
- 754. ETIENNE & ANGELIQUE. February [day illegible], 1759, marriage of Etienne and Angelique, slaves of Sr. Remy Poissot.
- 755. FRANCOIS & MARIE> February [day illegible], 1759, marriage of Francois and Marie, slaves of Sr. Poissot.
- 896. MARIE LOUISE. March 8, 1767, baptism of Marie Louise, born March 5, daughter of Elizabeth, slave of Mr. Poisot. [Godparents illegible.]
- 934. ANGELIQUE. July 18, 1768, baptism of Angelique, born July 4, 1768, daughter of Louise, slave of Remy Poissot. Godparents: [illegible] and Angelique, slave of Remy Poissot.
- 1119. ANONYMOUS. March 18, 1776, burial of a négrito of Remigio Poissot.
- 2287. FELIPE. March 20, 1776, baptism of Felipe, adult slave of Poisson, the elder [Remy Poissot]. Godparents: [Jean Baptiste La Berry dit] Bayon and Mme. Poisson.
- 2294. JUAN BAUTISTA. June 2, 1776, baptism of Juan Bautista, born May 26, negro, natural son of the negra Margarita, slave of Mr. Poissot. Godparents: Juan Bautista Dartigaux (s) and Luisa Agueda Bayonne (s/ Louise Agathe Laberry).
- 2300, MARIA THERESA. January 21, 1777, baptism of Maria Theresa, born December 31, 1776, daughter of Maria Luisa, slave of Remigio Poisot, Sr., and of a father unknown. Godparents: Pedro, negro slave of Borme, and Maria Theresa, slave of Widow Alexis Grappe.
- 1192. ANGELICA. January 2, 1778, burial of Angelica, negra slave of Poisot.
- 2361. JUAN. November 7, 1779, baptism of Juan, born October 24, natural son of Luisa, slave of Poisot, Sr. Godparents: Juan and Isabel, slaves of Jacob Lambre.
- 1261. ANONYMOUS. February 17, 1781, burial of a negrito of Mr. Poisot, Sr.
- 2385. GENOVEFA. January 28, 1781, baptism of Genovefa, born January 15, natural daughter of Isabel, slave of Remigio Poisot. Godparents: Pedro Bailliot and Maria Poisot.
- 1266. ANONYMOUS. July 26, 1781, burial of a negrito of Poissot, Sr.
- 2429. CELESTINO. January 12, 1783, baptism of Celestino, born December 22, 1782, natural son of Maria Luisa, slave of Remigio Poisot. Godparents: Pedro Dolé (s/ Pierre Dolet) and Maria Ana Dupres.
- 1343. ANONYMOUS. May 16, 1784, burial of a slave child of Remigio Poissot.
- 2481. JUAN BAUTISTA. June 20, 1784, baptism of Juan Bautista, born June 5, mulato son of Angelica, slave of Remy Poissot, and father unknown. Godparents: Franco. and Maria Luisa, slaves of Athanasio Poissot.
- 1375. ANONYMOUS. December 10, 1787, burial of a mulâtre of Mr. Poissot.
- From Mills, Gary B. and Elizabeth Shown Mills. The Forgotten People: Cane River's Creoles of Color, rev.ed. (Baton Rouge, LA: Louisiana State University Press, 2013): see index, particularly p.93-94, 106, 315n16, 319n54 which refers to civil documents cited in Natchitoches Parish Clerk of Courts Index to French Colonial Archives 1732-1819.
- #1093 In 1775, Remy Poissot emancipated Agnes, a slave. This refers to Agnes Poissot Metoyer
- #1357 in 1778, Remy Poissot emancipated Agnes, a slave. This is a second filing to emancipate Agnes as her previous emancipation was fought by the wife of Remy's son, Athanase. Athanase was the biological father of Agnes.
- #2136 in 1788, sale of slaves from Jean Bse. Dartigaux to Remi Poissot. (This might refer to his son, depending on when Remy Poissot, Sr. died.