Location: Chatham, North Carolina, United States
Surnames/tags: slavery Chatham_North_Carolina us_black_heritage
This page serves to document and further the research of enslaved individuals held by slave owner James Booker of Chatham County, North Carolina.
Transcribed will (some non-salient portions removed, see full version here.)
In the name of God, Amen, This 9th Day July 1819. I James Booker of the County of Chatham, and State of North Carolina .....
Item First. I lend unto my dearly beloved wife Phebo Booker The Track of Land I now live on including that part of the Hayes Track, as far as horn creek. Also four negroes namely, Bob, Abram, Dilcy, Tab, and yoke of steers....
Item. I givs and bequeath unto my dearly beloved son Daniel Booker this track of land where he now lives on lying in Wala ?and Cumberland County also on negro man by the name of Riddick. Item I give an bequeath unto my dearly beloved son Enoch Booker the tract of Land where he now lives upon in woke county. Also one negro man by the name of Arthur. Item. I givs unto my dearly beloved daughter Molly Heuika =beo, one negro girl by the name of Sally. Item. I givs and bequeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Esther Lamair, one negro man by the name of Dick(?). Item. I givs and bequeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Betsy Wommack on negro girl by the name of Gracey
Item I givs and beqeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Patience Thomas, on negro girl by the name of Silvey also the Track of Land where she now lives upon. Item I give and bequeath unto my dearly beloved daughter Rebecca Rollins the Track of Land where she now lives upon in Cumberland County also one negro girl by the name of Gezziah and mare now in popefsion? tow cows and calves one bed and furniture. Item I give and bequeath unto my three grand children namely Lucy, Henry, and Winifred Jones, three negroes namely George, Delenia, and Milly. Item I give and bequeath unto my two Sons Daniel and Enoch Booker half of the mill on white Oak, the other half units I give unto Barnaby Thomas, Buck Lanair and Thomas Rollins. I also give unto Richard Hesckabee Buck Loonair Barnaby Thomas. Young Jones. Rorie Wommock, and Thomas Rollins Ten Dollars each. Item I leave the whol residence of my property not willed to be sold and equally divided amongst my children my three grand children to draw one share for Lavicy And do appoint my Son Enoch Booker and Buck Lanir(?) to be whole and sole Executors of this my last will and Testament and I James Booker, do revoke and diso?? nick all other wills here to fore made by me. In ??? where of I have here unto let my hand the day and date above written Signed Sealed and Delivered In the presents of ?? Bernvell Rollins James B Booker (his mark)
William + Bitts (His mark)
- Transcribed will by Tomaszewicz-6 (James Booker 1819 transcribe)
A list of the property belonging to the Estate of James Booker, Dect.
Richard Huckabee to one negro woman by the name of Phillis at the lowest bider --- 180
do[ditto] to two small children by the name of George + Milley Belonging --- 184 (Jones is Heirs)
Phebe Booker to one by the name of Delila to the lowest bider --- 70 Belonging to Jones is Heirs To some open acounts --- 10
Recorded in book 6 page 674(?)
- Thos Ragland Clerk
- Enoch Booker
- Buckanon Lanier
List of Property of the Estate of James Booker dec'd
Determined by the County at August Session 1821
Additional Acct Sales of the Estate of James Booker decd
Returned February Sessions 1821
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Ancestry.com. North Carolina, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Wills and Estate Papers (Chatham County), 1663-1978; Author: North Carolina. Division of Archives and History; Probate Place: Chatham, North Carolina Accessed on ancestry.com, August 2021.
- ↑ Ancestry.com. North Carolina, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1665-1998 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Wills and Estate Papers (Chatham County), 1663-1978; Author: North Carolina. Division of Archives and History (Raleigh, North Carolina); Probate Place: Chatham, North Carolina Accessed on ancestry.com, August 2021.
- ↑ "North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V65M-1L8 : 8 March 2021), James Booker, 1821; citing Chatham, North Carolina, United States, State Archives, Raleigh; FHL microfilm 1,728,772.
- Thank you to Anne Guglik and Tomaszewicz-6 for finding and transcibing the will and probates. Weatherall-96 20:35, 24 August 2021 (UTC)