Location: Hampshire, Virginia, United States
Surnames/tags: Kuykendall Slavery Black_Heritage
Slaves of James Kuykendall of Hampshire Co., Virginia.
The following people were bequeathed to James Kuykendall's wife, Hannah L. Blue Kuykendall by the 1840 Will of her father, Michael Blue, which was proved 28 Mar 1842. Because James and Hannah were married, James was actually the legal owner of these people.
Slave Schedule, Western District, Hampshire County Virginia, 22 Oct 1860, p. 17, of James Kuykendall, recorded 11 enslaved people:
- William 20 M M
- Juliet 35 F M
- Barbara 18 F M
- Ann 14 F M
- Mary 12 F M
- Phebe 8 F M
- Susan 6 F M
- Ginnette 4 F M
- John 2 M M
- Charles 7 M B
- Daniel 1 M B
- The slave Charles 7 M B may be the same person as the farm laborer Charles Davis 17 M B in James Kuykendall's 1870 census. And the slave John 2 M M may be the same person as the farm laborer John Smith 12 M M in the same census.
- ↑ Will of Michael Blue
- ↑ https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/7668/images/vam653_1391-0264?backlabel=ReturnSearchResults&queryId=a2eaba05ce1ae9deeaf38f4c24edc46e&pId=1095068
"1870 United States Federal Census"
Year: 1870; Census Place: Cabin Run, Mineral, West Virginia; Roll: M593_1694; Page: 587A
Ancestry Sharing Link - Ancestry Record 7163 #14711649 (accessed 13 April 2022)
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)