Location: Madison County, Georgia, United States
Surnames/tags: Slavery Wilhite, John G Black_Heritage
This is a space to record research about the slaves of John G Wilhite (abt.1766-1840) with the goal of connecting them to their descendants.
Plantations of John Wilhite
John had numerous tracts of land in different Georgia counties. No plantation names have yet been discovered. His lands included:
- Madison County on North Broad River where he resided containing seven hundred acres more or less.
- Jackson County on the waters of Parks Creek containing six hundred and eighty acres more or less.
- Wilkinson County (now Telfair County) containing two hundred two and half acres.
- Early (now Baker) County containing two hundred and fifty acres.
- Cherokee County containing forty acres.
Slaves of John G Wilhite
The following chart lists all the slaves that are listed in the property inventory of John G Wilhite during the probate process for his will, which was dated 10 Aug 1838: The Will of John G. Wilhite
- The slaves in the chart were sold on 13 Nov 1840.
- One was unnamed - #5 on the chart.
- Two had no monetary value listed - # 45 and #45 on the chart.
- Six slaves appeared to have been infants or young children who were sold as part of the sale of their mother. Listed as #23-28 in the chart. Separate profiles have been made for them.
In John's will, one other slave was mentioned who was named Savan. It is not clear if this slave was a male or a female, but the person is not listed in the property inventory, nor the chart below. Savan may have died before the property list was developed in 1840.
It is not known which piece of property the enslaved worked on.
|Slave Owner: John G Wilhite||Number of Slaves||Age||Sex||Color||Name||Purchased For||Purchaser||Wikitree ID||Child's ID|
|1||? (man)||M||B||Joe||$97||Gabriel Grimes||Wilhite-2610|
|2||? (man)||M||B||Bluford||$500||James M Bird||Wilhite-2611|
|3||? (girl)||F||B||Martha||$504||R E Oliver||Wilhite-2612|
|7||? (fellow)||M||B||Old Joe||$175||Wilhite-2615|
|10||? (fellow)||M||B||Young Joe||$900||Wilhite-2618|
|23||? (woman)||F||B||Letty and child, Aaron||$900||Wilhite-2631||Wilhite-2632|
|24||? (woman)||F||B||Louisa and child, Jane||$850||Wilhite-2633||Wilhite-2634|
|25||? (woman)||F||B||Chana and child, Sam||$600||Wilhite-2635||Wilhite-2636|
|26||? (woman)||F||B||Harriet and child, Sidney||$700||Wilhite-2637||Wilhite-2638|
|27||? (woman)||F||B||Easter and child, Sam||$525||Wilhite-2639||Wilhite-2640|
|28||? (woman)||F||B||Martha and child, Carolina||$850||Wilhite-2641||Wilhite-2642|
|30||? (girl)||F||B||Jinny (aka Jenny)||$750||Wilhite-2644|
|32||? (girl)||F||B||Tilla (aka Tiller)||$750||Wilhite-2646|
|33||? (girl)||F||B||Dilsey (aka Dilcy)||$775||Wilhite-2647|
- ↑ Transcription of Last Will and Testament of John G Wilhite, 10 Aug, 1838, includes property inventory from probate process and sale of slaves. Georgia, US Wills and Probate records, 1742-1992. John White, 10 Aug 1838 Probate Place: Madison, Georgia. (https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/23131580/person/1386586050/story/2?pg=32917&pgpl=pid&clickref=1011lgP5pT46%2C1011lgP5pT46&adref=&o_xid=01011l4xx5&o_lid=01011l4xx5&o_sch=Affiliate%2BExternal)
- Will Records, 1811-1922; Author: Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Madison County); Probate Place: Madison, Georgia. Ancestry.com. Georgia, U.S., Wills and Probate Records, 1742-1992 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015. Original data: Georgia County, District and Probate Courts. Name: John Wilhite. Residence Date: Abt 1838. Residence Place: Madison, Georgia. Will Date: 10 Aug 1838. Probate Date: 10 Aug 1838. Probate Place: Madison, Georgia, USA. Inferred Death Year: 1838. Inferred Death Place: Georgia, USA. Item Description: Will Records, 1811-1922 Ancestry Link