Location: Fayette, Kentucky, United States
The purpose of this page is to research and identify the slaves owned by Joseph Barbee.
Name: Joseph Barbee Home in 1820 (City, County, State): Fayette, Kentucky Enumeration Date: August 7, 1820 Free White Persons - Males - Under 10: 1 Free White Persons - Males - 26 thru 44: 1 Free White Persons - Females - Under 10: 2 Free White Persons - Females - 16 thru 25: 2 Slaves - Males - Under 14: 2 Slaves - Males - 14 thru 25: 1 Slaves - Males - 26 thru 44: 1 Slaves - Females - Under 14: 2 Slaves - Females - 26 thru 44: 1 Number of Persons - Engaged in Commerce: 1 Free White Persons - Under 16: 3 Free White Persons - Over 25: 1 Total Free White Persons: 6 Total Slaves: 7
Need to identify which census is the correct one - Joseph on 1820 Census in Montgomery Co., TN page 4 - Males 2/10-16 (Young P 16 & Trice 13), 1/26-45 (Major 27) & 1/>45 (Joseph 59) Females 1/>45 (Sally 52)
Joseph Barbee sold land & slaves in Orange Co., NC to Mann Patterson, 29 Sept 1806 - Deeds 12 - 33
Joseph's first land transaction in Montgomery County, Tenn. is dated 1814, when Joseph buys from Abraham Allen 100 acres of land. It is not the same land described above, but it is also on a fork of the Red River, Montgomery (Same as John Adams) County Deed Bk. I page 609. Could this Allen perhaps be related to Samuel Allen who marries Elizabeth Barbee, daughter of William & Rachel Barbee, an Aunt of Joseph?"
Joseph bought a slave 25 July 1814 in Montgomery Co., TN - Book K, page 71
1806 Joseph sold the land and two young slaves he inherited from his father. Witnessing the transaction was daughter Elizabeth & son, Major Edward Barbee.
1814 Purchased one negro slave in Montgomery Co., TN
1818 Acquired 100 acres of land.
1824 Sold the 100 acres of land to son-in-law, Ross Jones.
Moved to Montgomery Co., TN
- In addition to the transactions mentioned above, there are enslaved people recorded in censuses: 7 in 1820, and perhaps 3 in 1810.
- See space page for further /*information on the slaves of Joseph Barbee.
- Shields, Ruth Herndon and West, Belle Lewter and Stone, Kathryn Crossley. A Study of the Barbee Families of Chatham, Orange and Wake Counties in North Carolina. Boulder Colorado, 1973. http://barbeeresearch-thebook.blogspot.com/
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)