Location: Hampshire, Virginia, United States
Surnames/tags: Blue USBH Slavery
Michael Blue Jr. (1819-1903) of Hampshire, Virginia inherited two slaves from his father Michael Blue (1782-1842), in his will dated 27 Oct 1840, proved 28 Mar 1842: "6th. I give and bequeath to my son Michael, Negro Benjamin. Also one horse saddle & bridle, his choice after his mother takes hers. Also one bed and bedding. Also Negro Pheby after the decease of his mother."
The Hampshire, Virginia Slave Schedule for 1850 dated 1 Oct 1850 listed the 14 slaves belonging to M(ichael), L(awson), & G(arret) Blue, the 3 unmarried sons of Michael Blue deceased, who were living at home with their mother Fanny Blue:
- 60 F M believed to be Barbara Cochran
- 50 M B
- 47 F B
- 46 M B Benjamin
- 44 F B
- 26 M B
- 18 M M
- 16 F M believed to be Phillis
- 12 F B
- 12 F B
- 9 F B
- 6 F B
- 4 F B
The Hampshire, Virginia Slave Schedule dated 23 Oct 1860 named the 13 slaves of Michael Blue Jr.:
- Barbara 71 F M believed to be Barbara Cochran
- Benjamin 56 M B
- Samuel 36 M B
- Elizabeth 56 F B
- Phillis 26 F B
- Susan 19 F B
- Elizabeth 15 F B
- David 11 M B
- John 4 M B
- Daniel 3 M B
- Harriet 2 F B
- Margaret 1 F B
- Lucinda 14 F B
- This Michael Blue was not designated "Jr." in his lifetime, according to records discovered so far. Even the family Bible names him "Michael, son of Michael" in his marriage record, although it names the father "Michael - Senior" in the father's death record. For the purpose of specifying the lists of slaves belonging to the father and to the son, the son has been designated Jr.
- ↑ 1840 Will of Michael Blue
"1850 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules"
The National Archive in Washington DC; Washington, DC; NARA Microform Publication: M432; Title: Seventh Census Of The United States, 1850; Record Group: Records of the Bureau of the Census; Record Group Number: 29
Ancestry Sharing Link - Ancestry ca Record 8055 #92772115 (accessed 18 May 2022)
M, L & G Blue in District 24, Hampshire, Virginia, USA.
"1860 U.S. Federal Census - Slave Schedules"
The National Archives in Washington DC; Washington DC, USA; Eighth Census of the United States 1860; Series Number: M653; Record Group: Records of the Bureau of the Census; Record Group Number: 29
Ancestry Sharing Link - Ancestry ca Record 7668 #1094729 (accessed 18 May 2022)
Michael Bule in Western District, Hampshire, Virginia, USA.
- ↑ https://Family Bible: www.afrigeneas.com/slavedata/Blue-VA-1782.html