Location: Cumberland, North Carolina, United States
This page serves to document and further the research of enslaved individuals held by slave owner Richard Huckabee of Cumberland County, North Carolina.
Richard Huckabee is recorded as purchasing 3 slaves from the estate of his father-in-law, James Booker, in about 1819: Phillis, and George and Milly.. It is unclear what the relationship among Phillis, George, and Milly was. See bottom for transcription of this part of the probate. (Though Richard and James lived 2 counties apart -- Huckbee's residence of Cumberland County, and Booker's of Chatham County, their towns of Broadway (modern name) and Pittsboro are only 25 miles apart.) It looks like all 3 are likely accounted for in the 1820 census; Millie and George would be among the children under 14, and it's unclear what age category Phillis would be in.
- 1810, "Richard Hucabee, Esq" Capt Walkers District, Cumberland, North Carolina. 
- Numbers of Slaves: 4 (no ages or genders given)
- Number of Total Household Members: 15
- 1820 "Rick C Huckaba, Esq" Capt MacPhails District, Cumberland, North Carolina. **Enumeration Date: August 7, 1820.
- Slaves - Males - Under 14: 3
- Slaves - Males - 14 thru 25: 1
- Slaves - Males - 26 thru 44: 1
- Slaves - Males - 45 and over: 1
- Slaves - Females - Under 14: 2
- Slaves - Females - 14 thru 25: 1
- Slaves - Females - 26 thru 44: 1
- Slaves - Females - 45 and over: 1
A list of the property belonging to the Estate of James Booker, Dect.
[page 2, below]
Richard Huckabee to one negro woman by the name of Phillie at the last bider --- 180
do to two small children by the name of Georg + Milley Belonging --- 184 (Jones is Heirs)
Phebe Booker to one by the name of Delila to the last bider --- 70 Belonging to Jones is Heirs
To some open acounts --- 10
Recorded in book 6 page 674(?)
Thos Ragland Clerk Enoch Booker Buckanon Lanier ………………………. [card, page 3] entered List of Property of the Estate of James Booker dec'd
Determined by the County at August Session 1821
Recorded ………………………. [card, page 4] An additional Inventory of the Estate of James Booker, dec'd
May Term 1821
Recorded ………………………. [page 5, below] The Executor of James Booker, dec'd at May Term 1821 makes the following return--
1 Judgement against Randolph Battle for $30 1 Note against ?Milie Jones for $10 ~ $30 By the Executors-- Enoch Booker Buckanon Lenier Recorded in Book 6 page 474 Thos Ragland Clerk
- - End Transcription - - In the above section, it looks like James Booker had used part of the value of Millie Jones as credit? I assume this is the same Millie Jones who was then purchased by Richard Huckabee. Weatherall-96 04:47, 25 August 2021 (UTC)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V65M-1L8 : 8 March 2021), James Booker, 1821; citing Chatham, North Carolina, United States, State Archives, Raleigh; FHL microfilm 1,728,772.
- ↑ "United States Census, 1810," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XH26-KBR : accessed 25 August 2021), Richard Hueaby, Capt Walkers District, Cumberland, North Carolina, United States; citing p. 580, NARA microfilm publication M252 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.), roll 39; FHL microfilm 337,912.
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)