Location: Jefferson, Florida Territory, United States
Surnames/tags: Slavery African-American Nuttall
Slaves of William B Nuttall
El Destino Plantation
- El Destino is located about 12 miles East of Tallahassee, Leon County, Florida. The plantation lies mostly in Jefferson County, Florida, with some overlap of six miles into Leon County. The plantation consisted of 7,638 acres. The "Big House" was a common looking, one story structure with a gabled roof, not the stereotypical grand plantation house of the South. There was an Overseer's house as well as about ten log cabins for the slave families.
- El Destino was originally owned by the Nuttall family of Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia. The patriarch, John Nuttall, bought the land in 1828, and sent his son, William B Nuttall to run the plantation. John and his other son, John Jr (sometimes referred to as James) sent along 52 slaves they owned to work the plantation.
- After William died in 1836, his widow, Mary Wallace (Savage) Nuttall married George Noble Jones in 1840. George purchased the plantation from William's estate.
Lists of Properties Covered by Mortgages Given By William B Nuttall to the Union Bank of Florida, 1834 and 1835 
- 1. Mortgage of Mar 1, 1834 - $27,600 - included numerous parcels of land, and the following slaves:
Slave Slave Slave Pleasant Charles Amelia Isam Sim Minney Dudley Jocosin Katy Sam Henderson Natty Ben Munday Esther Ralph Demps Ann Tom Charles Aggy William Robert Winney Nat Ephraim Phillis Abram Young Tempe Nelson Betsey Eliza Cheslie Susan Jane Lewis Mary Nancy Ephraim Amity Hannah Mary Jane Jiles Davey Martha Jim Griffin Isham John Stephen Aleck Malinda Pleasant Daniel Rachael Coalman
- 2. Mortgage of 22 Nov 1834 - $13,500 - included numerous land parcels and a remortgage of the slaves listed above.
- 3. Mortgage of 24 Jan 1835 - $3600 - consisted of 10 slaves:
Slave Slave Slave Barack Sarah & Child Julia Charles Coelia Maria Jimmey Venus Alice Grey
- 4. Mortgage of 21 May 1835 - $8000
Slave Age Slave Age Harry 50 Juno 17 Abraham 60 Pillis (Phillis) 20 Anthony 42 Dye 16 Joe 40 Mary Constantine 19 Flanders 36 Nancy Bartow 16 George 34 Nancy Beverly 14 Prince Savage 32 Tamer 20 Prince Habersham 35 Lucy & Child 19 Ben 25 Phillis & Child 24 Phillis 21 Esther 42 Frank 37 Primus 12 Eliza 60 Aberdeen Butler 10 Mary 33 Ancil 9 Delia 32 Phillis & Child 10 June 33 Abraham 3 Tyre & Child, Amy 28 Cato 8 Daphe (Daphne) 20 Sally 10 Hannah 35 Charlotte 5 Flora 44 Abraham 18 Nancy & Child 20
Slaves Belonging to the Estate of William B Nuttall, Sold at Foreclosure, 1844 
- George Noble Jones bought all the slaves except one and the property from the estate. All the slaves comprised the portion of the El Destino Plantation corps owned by William Nuttall.
# of Slaves Slave Name Purchaser $ 1 William Geo. Jones $750 5 Winney, Natt, Coatney, Tom, Charlotte Geo. Jones $830 3 Aggy, Davy, Polly Geo. Jones $1,130 1 Sim Geo. Jones $610 5 Melia, Eliza, Priscilla, Richard & Jimmey Geo. Jones $920 1 Henderson Smith $500 4 Dudley, Phillis, Harry & Clary Geo. Jones $510 1 Ephraim Geo. Jones $700 1 Bob Geo. Jones $680 5 Tempe, Heyward, Lewis, Dolly & Mary Ann Geo. Jones $1,110 7 Ben Jackson, Emely, Daniel, Samuel, James, Winney, & Peny Geo. Jones $2,000 4 Mary Isham, Isham, Martha & Albert Geo. Jones $1,520 3 Nancy, Louisa & Phoebe Geo. Jones $810 1 Chesley Geo. Jones $630 3 Easter, Hetty & Seeley Geo. Jones $850 1 Stephen Geo. Jones $610 1 Pleasant Geo. Jones $640 1 Mary John Geo. Jones $530 1 Nelson Geo. Jones $3 4 Kate, Hannah, Margaret & Joe Geo. Jones $835 1 Coleman Geo. Jones $670 3 Nutta & Infant Caroline, and Mary Kane Geo. Jones $900 10 Sam Sail, Ann, John, Rachael, Lucy, Jane, Sam, Lymus, Patsey, Ann & Adeline Geo. Jones $2,525 Total $20,263
- ↑ "A Visit to El Destino and Chemonie in August 1925" by James D Glunt(https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/163608-florida-plantation-records-from-the-papers-of-george-noble-jones?viewer=1&offset=0#page=51&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=)
- ↑ Florida Plantation Records from the papers of George Noble Jones, "Lists of Properties Covered by Mortgages Given By William B Nuttall to the Union Bank of Florida, 1834 and 1835", pp531-533 (https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/163608-florida-plantation-records-from-the-papers-of-george-noble-jones?viewer=1&offset=0#page=543&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=)
- ↑ Florida Plantation Records from the papers of George Noble Jones, "Slaves and Other Property Belonging to the Estate of William B Nuttall, Sold at Foreclosure, 1844 ", pp541-544 (https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/163608-florida-plantation-records-from-the-papers-of-george-noble-jones?viewer=1&offset=0#page=543&viewer=picture&o=&n=0&q=)
- Slaves of Mary Wallace Savage Nuttall Jones (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Slaves_of_Mary_Wallace_Savage_Nuttall_Jones)
- Slaves of George Noble Jones at El Destino Plantation (https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:Slaves_of_George_Noble_Jones_at_El_Destino_Plantation)