Location: Missouri, United States
Surnames/tags: Smith Counts Hudson
This is a One Name Study to collect together in one place everything about the surname Smith and its variants. The hope is that other researchers like you will join our study to help make it a valuable reference point for people studying lines that cross or intersect. Please contact the project leader, add categories to your profiles, add your questions to the bulletin board, add details of your name research, etc.
Resources Alphabetical Order by Author's Surname
The following list are books that reference particular Smith families. The items identified with a NE number refers to the yDNA family group from SmithConnections NorthEastern DNA Project, although other Smith families may be included in the publication. The SmithConnections Northeastern DNA Project page on WikiTree also has a list of the immigrant and Earliest Known Smith Ancestors. Those that are available online have an underlined link. A few are available to borrow, similar to a library.
- American Publishers' Association, Origin and history of the name of Smith (1902) Origin and history of the name of Smith, with biographes of all the most noted persons of that name. And an account of the origin of surnames and forenames. Together with over five hundred Christian names of men and women and their significance. The Crescent family record .... Chicago, Ill.: American publishers' association, 1902.
- Anderson, Mary A. (Smith), Ancestry and posterity of Joseph Smith and Emma Hale (1929) NE53 (Joseph Smith and Emma Hale) (to borrow online)
- Attwater, Robert, IMM John Smith d.1684 Milford New Haven Colony CT (1891) New England Historical and Genealogical Register, Vol 45 Pages 222-228 (subscription) NE39 (John Smith m Grace Hawley)
- Austin, James Osborn, Genealogical Dictionary of RI (1887)
p.183 John 'of Newport' d.1699 m. Susannah____
p.183 John 'of Prudence Island' d.1730 m. Phyllis Gereardy
p.184 John 'of Warwick & Prov.' [son of John of Prudence Island]
p.185 Richard ? which one ?
p.376 Christopher -GR 18
p.380 Edward (m. Sarah Carpenter)
p.380 John 'the mason'
p.382 John 'the miller' -GR 40
- Bayer, D. Frank, Desc.of John Wheeler b.1777 PA & Elizabeth (Piper) Smith (1989)
- Beers, J. & Co., Representative Men & Old Families of RI" (1908) Vol 1
p. 138 Constant & Martha (Galusha) Smith -IMM unknown
p. 286 IMM Christopher - GR 18
p. 354 Robert & Harriet (Rhodes) Smith -IMM unknown
p. 673 IMM Henry d.1649 MA - GR 47
p. 744 IMM Christopher - GR 18
p. 856 IMM Henry d.1649 MA - GR 47
p.1070 IMM John 'the miller' - GR 40
p.1148 Elisha b.1794 RI - GR 40
p.1204 IMM John 'the miller' - GR 40
p.1256 IMM John 'the miller' - GR 40
p.1775 James & Joanna (Sheldon) Smith -IMM unknown
p.1874 IMM John 'the miller' - GR 40
p.1905 IMM John 'the miller' - GR 40
p.1943 IMM Richard & Joyce (Standish) Smith -NO DNA
p.2299 Elisha b.1794 RI - GR 40
p.2330 IMM Christopher - GR 18
- Beers, J. & Co., Representative Men & Old Families of RI, Vol II
- Beers, J. & Co., Representative Men & Old Families of RI, Vol III
- Bell, Raymond Martin, John Smith Revo 1750-1818 & Christina Nunemacher of PA (1997)
- Boltwood, Lucius M., Genealogies of Hadley families - Smith section Pages 122-141
- Boyd, Margaret L. Kraig, John Andrew Smith 1754-1836, Revo. Soldier (1996)
- Brady, Jane Tullia (Smith), Records of IMM Rev Henry Smith, Puritan Pastor (c1951) NE07 (Rev. Henry Smith and Dorothy Unknown Russell)
- Broome, John David, Life, Ministry, Journals of Rev. Hezekiah Smith (2004) IMM Peter Smith, LI, NY
- Brown, Phyllis (Smith), IMM Thaddeus (1805 GER -d.___OH) & Theresa Smith (1972)
- Cable, Edith (Smith), 100s Early IMMs in the Pedigrees of Edith Smith (1991) NE05?
- Carter, Carolyn, Smith Family Nicholas Smith (1765 US-1842 CAN) m. Catherine May, (1990)
- Cheek, Linda G., Smith Wills, Deeds and Family Histories, Vol 1 (1993). ISBN 0-89308-484-0. Page 526 (I will do look-ups in this book by request. Kitty Smith) (Ambrose Joshua Smith lines)
- Cheek, Linda G., Ancestors and Descendants of Smiths (1987). ISBN 0-89308-622-3. (I will do look-ups in this book by request. Kitty Smith) (Ambrose Joshua Smith lines)
- Coleman, C. W., Genealogy of the Smith Family of Essex County, Virginia Vol 6 (1897) (Nicholas Smith and Mary Tibbals)
- Coleman, C. W., Genealogy of the Smith Family of Essex County, Virginia Vol 25 (1917) (Nicholas Smith and Mary Tibbals)
- Crane, Angeline P. (Smith), The Genealogy and history of the John Keysar Smith Family of Valley Rest, Florence, Nebraska (1925) NE39 (A John Smith m Grace Hawley line)
- Crane, Elaine Forman, Killed Strangely: The Death of Rebecca Cornell, Publisher: Cornell University Press; 1 edition (5 Feb. 2009). This was Rebecca (Briggs) Cornell, widow of Thomas Cornell; and ancestor of Lizzie Borden and Ezra Cornell (founder of Cornell University).
- Dickerman, Albert, Ebenezer & Ruth Smith & their Descendants (1891) NE01 (A Samuel Smith and Elizabeth Smith line)
- Dittenhafer, Miriam Marcy, Hist. & Gene Valentine H. Smith 1838-1890 Phila PA (2004)
- Frost, Josephine C., Ances. Hiram & Sarah Jane (Knapp, Bull) Smith (1927) https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/smith-connections/about/results NE50] or John Rock Smiths? EKA- Jesse Smith Revo (1758 NY-1829 NY) m. Eliza Ansley
- Goodenough, Carol McWain, Families of Smith & Rosenkrans in America (1976) NE35 (A Andrew Smith m Olive Foster line)
- Hanaford, Mary E. Neal, Family records of branches of the Hanaford, Thompson, Huckins, Prescott, Smith, Neal, Haley, Lock, Swift, Plumer, Leavitt (1915) IMM Nicholas d.1673 NH (A Nicholas Smith m Mary Satchell line)
- Harris, Joseph S., Record of the Smith family descended from John Smith, born 1655 in county Monaghan, Ireland (1906) IMM John arr: PA c.1720
- Harris, Joseph S., Alexander Smith (1692-pre1766 IRE) m. Elizabeth Frazier (1908) IMM John arr: PA c.1720
- Hays, Hugh Howard, Chronicle of Decs. IMM Ephraim Smith 1798 ENG-1880 PA. (1942)
- Hayward, Mrs Carle R., Thomas Smith, wheelwright of Ipswich MA s/o- George & Mary (French) Smith, (NEHGR Vol 110 Jul 1956 p. 202-205)
- Holton, Woody, Abigail Adams, published by FreePress NY. ISBN 978-1-4165-4680-1 "First Free Press hardcover edition Nov 2009"
- Holmes, Frank, ‘’Directory of Ancestral Heads of New England families 1620-1700’’ (1923)
Smiths found in RI records
_____ Benjamin (c1631 -1713) - came to Providence in 1660
GR 18 Christopher d.1676 – resident of Providence in 1655
GR 18 Edward [s/o- Chris above] -took oath of allegiance in Prov. in 1668
_____ Elisha – at Warwick/Newport in 1677
GR 40 John – ‘the miller’ resident of Newport in 1639
_____ John – ‘the mason’ settled in Prov lived Warwick 1657
_____ John [s/o- John ‘the mason’] – ‘Jameca John’ died Prov. c1685
_____ John – resident of Newport in 1678
_____ Richard (c1596-1666 RI) -from Glouscester ENG, 1st in Taunton MA, to Prov in 1638
............ his son Richard d.1692 = NO male desc but possibly kin to GROUP 22
GR 87 Thomas – married in Providence in 1661
- Hook, James W., Smith, Grant & Irons of NJ Shore Cos.+ Willets & Birdsall (1955)
- Hughes, Nancy Case, Peter Smith Revo (1760 NH-1837 ME) & Hannah Sanborn, Desc. in Indiana (1972)
- Jarvis, Zora (Smith), Ancestors of George A. Smith (1962) NE53
- Johnson, Eric H., Ances. & Desc. of Timothy Smith, Meigs Co. OH" (2006) NE33
- Kalbfleisch, Ray, Capt. Thomas Smith (1767 VT - 1850 CAN) (1995)
- Kopp, Rita Bone, Bazel d.1852 OH & Mary (Howell) Smith, Monroe Co. OH (1983)
- Leonard, L. W., Gene.of William Smith Revo (m. Elizabeth Morison) Peterborough, NH (1852) IMM Robert d.1766 NH
- Jonathan Smith (of the Worcester, MA bar), The Home of the Smith family in Peterborough, New Hampshire. 1749-1842 (1900)
- Linely, Veronica, James SMITH (c.1740 - post 1800 VT)" (1993)
- Martin, Sophia (Smith), The Complete Genealogy of the Descendants of Matthew Smith of East Haddam, Conn (1890)
- McCourt, Martha F., The American descendants of Rev. John Smith, who married 13 June 1643 Susanna Hinckley (1995) (to borrow online) NE09
- Morison, John H., Life of Honorable Jeremiah Smith (1845) IMM Robert d. 1766 NH
- Napoli, Marjorie Little, The Smith genealogy : being an account of some of the descendants of Henry and Elizabeth Smith of Dedham and Medfield, Massachusetts, 1637, and an account of some related families, 1600-1800 (1974) NE24 (to borrow online)
- Wills of the Smith families of New York and Long Island, 1664-1794 by Pelletreau, William Smith, (1898)
- Peeves, Emma Barrett, Tennessee Smithology - Appendix III (1975); Cook & McDowell Publications. Repository DAR Library, Washington DC. LOC 75-27993. Pages 114-135
- Perkins, Henry Ebsen, A new edition of the record of the family of Roswell Smith and Roswell Smith (1919 & 1921) NE18
- Randall, Georgiana (Hathaway), Ances. Henry Perkins Smith & Christiana Long (1958) IMM John 'ye Smith' d.1704 CT
- Reade, Compton, The Smith Family -Being a Popular Account of Most Branches of the Name, However Spelt, From the 14th Century Downwards (1904) London
- Sabine, William H. W., Historical Memoirs of William Smith 1763-1776 NY" (1956) IMM Thomas & Susannah O'Dell Smith
- Seversmith, Herbert Furman, Colonial families of Long Island, New York and Connecticut : being the ancestry & kindred of Herbert Furman Seversmith Vols 1-5 (1939, 1953, 1958) NE32
- Smith, Alven Martyn. John Smith of Lancaster, Mass. and his descendants in Lyme, Conn. (Marlow, N.H., Vermont and the West). Pasadena, California: A.M. Smith, 1931.
- Smith, Annie Morrill, Ancestors of Henry Montgomery Smith and Catherine Forshee
- Smith, Ballard Jr., Gene. Record Smiths of Oyster River NH inclu. Valentine Smith (1875) NE58? IMM George, son Joseph Smith (1640 MA-1727 NH) m. Elizabeth Bickford
- Smith, Benjamin F., A Maine family of Smiths (1922)
- Smith, Danny D., Preliminary Account & Descs. of Robert Smith 1611-1706 of Exeter and Hampton, NH through the fifth generation. (1980) NE33
- Smith, David, Finding Wescott Smith 1793-1877 (2002) IMM John of Prudence Isle, RI
- Smith, Edward Church, and Philip Mack Smith. The Ancestors and Descendants of Samuel Smith, Senior, of Middlefield, Massachusetts. (1947) Lakewood, Ohio. IMM Matthew arr 1637
- Smith, Edward Church, Maternal Ancestors of Edward C. Smith (1958) IMM Matthew arr 1637
- Smith, Edwin E. Dr., James Smith d.1687 Berwick ME, wife Martha Mills (1940)
- Smith, Edward H.L., "The Identity of Sarah, Wife of Richard Smith of Smithtown, Long Island" Article published in the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society (vol. 121, no. 1), January 1990, pages 19-22.
- Smith, Frederick Kinsman, The family of Richard Smith of Smithtown, Long Island: ten generations (to borrow online)
- Smith, Gerald H., Capt Anthony Smith Bedford Co. PA; German origins,colla.lines (2007)
- Smith, Grant A., Chasing the Clouds - Pilgrims & Pioneers (2010) NE09
- Smith, Harvey Douglas, Register of Desc. of Nathanial Smith Jr (1849) NE07
- Smith, Henry Allen, A genealogical history of the descendants of the Rev. Nehemiah Smith of New London County, Conn (1889) NE37
- Smith, Henry C. & Gibbs, Amelia, Family record of Ichabod Smith and descendants, from July 19, 1782, to December 25, 1877 (1877, 1974) (to borrow online)
- Smith, Rev. James, Genealogy of a Smith family 1590-1913 (1913)
- Smith, Jonathan, The home of the Smith family in Peterborough, New Hampshire. 1749-1842 (1900) IMM Robert d. 1766 NH
- Smith, Jonathan, A New Hampshire farm and its owner (1909)
- Smith, John Fraser, Genealogy of the Smith, Walkup, Bell, Perry and allied families (1915)
- Smith, Josiah B., Gene. IMM Robert Smith (d.1745 PA) m. Phebe Canby (1885)
- Smith, Margaret T., Genealogy and reminiscences of William Smith and family (1884)
- Smith, Lucius, Rev, Descendants of IMM Lt. Samuel Smith (1602 -1680) (c.1890) Unpublished Manuscript Western Reserve Library, Cleve. OH & LDS microfilms NE01 (Several Baptist items written by Lucius Smith)
- Smith, Margaret T., Genealogy and reminiscences of William Smith and family (1884)
- Smith, Melania (Boughton), Smith Family Records & Recollections (1870) NE39
- Smith, Oliver R., Journal of Jesse Nathaniel Smith (1970) NE53
- Smith, Richard J., (IMM) Nicholas Smith 1629 (d.1673 Exeter NH) (1968)
- Smith, Richard Morris, Burlington Smiths - A Family History (1877) '7 Smith Bros. fr Yorkshire, ENG' John Smith, brother #1
- Smith, Ruth Tangier & Hoff, Henry B., Tangier Smith Fam. desc of Col. William Smith d.1704/05 LI, NY (1978)
- Smith, Sarah Wilson, Brief history and a complete record of the American descendants of John and Mary Smith, Allegheny City, PA (1892)
- Smith, Susan Augusta, A memorial of Rev. Thomas Smith (second minister of Pembroke, Mass.,) and his descendants (1895) NE09
- Smith, Tenny, Charles Smith & Amy Rachel Bryant (1938) NE08
- Smith, Thomas Valentine, Genealogy of William Butler Smith and Thetus Brewer Smith, Mesa Arizona FamilySearch Library, circa 1965.
- Smith, Virginia, Desc. of IMM Ephraim Smith (1691 Eng -1750 NJ) to 1996 (post 1996)
- Smith, Warren S., James Smith Esq. 1780-1861 of Bedford Co. PA (1961) Is this the same James Smith, subject of this book?
- Stiles, Henry, "Genealogies and Biographies of Ancient Wethersfield" Smith pages 628 to 657
- Tuckerman, Bayard,A sketch of the Cotton Smith family of Sharon, Connecticut (1915)
- Updike, Daniel Berkeley, IMM Richard Smith -1st ENG. settler Narragansett Co. RI (1937) (I am not sure if this book is about this Richard Smith. We need to see a copy of this book.)
- VanName, Elmer Garfield, Joseph Smith (c1762-1841) Gloucester & Salem Cos. NJ (1964) EKA- Thomas b.c1730 m. Susanna
- Weis, Robert L., Abiel Smith (d.1814 MA) & Lydia Otis (1923) John d.1692 MA m. Elliott & Packard (? confused w/ John d.1692 Dartmouth MA m. Kirby & Howland?)
- White, Virgil D., Genealogical Abstracts of Revo. War Pension Files (1992) Vol 3 pgs. 3168-3236 (All Smith pages)
- Whittemore, Henry, Ancestral and revolutionary history of the Smith, Partridge, Treat, Woodruff and Lowry families (1898) NE01
- Wilson, Ealon V., Life of St Clair W. Smith 1844-1909, 19th cent. Trailblazer (1967) EKA- Joel & Jane (Wilson) Smith
- Wiscombe, Erold Clark, James H. Smith Family Organization (1980) EKA- Daniel b. c 1730 Morris Co.NJ –____ m. Gardiner & Pierson
- William and Mary College Quarterly, The Smiths of Virginia: II. Family of John Augustine Smith, President of William and Mary College, Vol 4 (1896)
- William and Mary College Quarterly, The Smiths of Virginia: I. Family of John Smith of Purton, Vol 4 (1895)
- Anderson, Robert Charles, Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to N.E. 1620-1633, Vols. I-III pages 1690 to 1700
- Anderson, Robert Charles, Great Migration: Immigrants to New England, 1634-1635, Volume VI, R-S pages 350 to 412
- Jacobus, Donald Lines, American Genealogist #98 Vol 25, Apr 1949 #2 -the Smith issue (1949) NE groups 5, 15, 22, 23, 32, 39, 54 ...plus unclaimed IMMs. Families covered include: William Smith of Jamaica, Nicholas Smith of Milford, Sergeant John Smith of Milford, Walter Smith of Milford, Thomas Smith of Guilford and Killingworth, Conn., Abraham Smith of Charlestown, Mass., Richard Smith of Wethersfield, and Richard Smith of Lyme.
- Smith Genealogies in the Library of Congress ...Indexes of books published...
- 1790 thru 1972 Kaminkow (1972)
- 1972 thru 1976 Kaminkow (1977)
- 1976 thru 1986 Kaminkow (1987)
- 1986 thru 1990 Library of Congress (1991)
- 1991 thru 2001 Kaminkow (2001) online ONLY
- Kaminkow, Marion J., A Complement to Genealogies in the Library of Congress: A Bibliography A Compliment to Genealogies in the Library of Congress (1981) -books found in other Major Libraries
- Reade, Compton, The Smith Family, accounts of most branches of the name from the 14th century (1904)
- Smith, Arthur M., Some account of Smiths of Exeter (ENG) & their desc. (1896)
- Rweb RI & Providence Plantations, Biographical by –__________ ? (pub. date ____ ?
Rhode Island had 8 SMITHS among her early settlers, 5 of whom bore the name 'John' and are known as -
‘John of Newport’, ‘John of Prudence Island’, ‘John of Warwick’ [& Providence], ‘John the mason’, and ‘John the miller’-GR 40.
3 more SMITH founders were, Christopher-GR 18, Edward and Richard.
1John SMITH of Prudence Island was on Conanicut Island by 1664. His son 2John SMITH married Phyllis Gereardy
and moved to Kingstown, where in conjunction with [his brother] 2Jeremiah SMITH, he laid out and gave 'to king and country' a highway 4 rods wide, from the old South Ferry to Pettaquamscutt River."
- Grandchamp, Robert "With Their usual ardor – Scituate RI and the American Revo.’’
(2007) ref by Mike, GR 18
- Ohio History Road Markers - 'SMITHS' on Ohio State Historical Markers, numeral is Marker number + County code
11 -8 Brown Co. Moses Smith (___-___)
10 -9 Butler Co. James Smith (___-___) 1st Landowner
23 -9 Butler Co. Job Smith (___-___) gave land for a church in 1844
9 -17 Crawford Co. Al Smith (1873 NY-1944) Pres. candidate, visited here
2 -18 Cuyahoga Co. George H. Smith (___-___) Romanesque Architect in Clev
13-18 Cuyahoga Co. Elmer Smith (___-___) 1st Grand-slam Homerun, Cleve Indians
83-18 Cuyahoga Co. Westin House Hotel 1844, on land given by Ozias & Hiram Smith
13-25 Franklin Co. Ovid Welford Smith (___-___)Civil War soldier,1st Congressional Medal of Honor
16-25 Franklin Co. 'Smith Burial Ground' John Smith (1742 NJ-1813 OH) & 4 Sons, all in Revo War
22-25 Franklin Co. Archibold Smith (1803 NJ -1893 OH) owned Mill in New Albany
23-25 Franklin Co. James Smith (___-___) 1820 - 1st teacher in Plain Twp.
8 -27 Gallia Co. Rt 35 'Silver Bridge' collapse-1967, 2 Smiths were among 47 killed
12-31 Hamilton Co. John Smith (___ –___) Revo War prisoner
1 -36 Highland Co. William Smith & Sons Tannery, underground railroad stop
3 -43 & 21-43 Lake Co. Joseph Smith (1805 VT-1844 IL) Mormon Prophet -GR 53
36-48 Lucas Co. James Smith (___NY -____) built a Firepumper wagon in 1837
16-53 Meigs Co. James Smith (1744 NH-1817 OH) m.Liz Mack, Revo War soldier
15-58 Morgan Co. Thomas Smith (____-____) Quaker, had underground railroad stop
11-65 Pickaway Co. William Sooy Smith (1830 OH-1916 OR) Civil Engineer -GR 23
7 -67 Portage Co. Joseph Smith (1805 NY -1836 MO) Mormon Prophet -GR 53
7 -72 Sandusky Co. Robert Smith (___-___) discovered medicinal 'green water'
1 -73 Scotio Co. Robert W. Smith (___-___) Engineer & Bridge builder
40-77 Summit Co. Robert H. Smith (1879 VT -1950 OH) co-founder of AA
10-79 Tuscarawas Co. Charles Shaller Smith (___-___) built an Iron Bridge 1868
- Not a question. You can create a coat of arms! May 3, 2016.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 24 Dec 2017 at 21:17 GMT Darin Burnham wrote:
On 16 Dec 2017 at 23:15 GMT Augustine Godwin Smith wrote:
If anyone could confirm any information on Mary Anne Freeman, I would be very grateful, as I'm drawing blanks of the Smith side of the Family.
On 20 Nov 2016 at 15:45 GMT Dave Smith wrote:
If I understand correctly, I join by asking to be added to the trusted list, which I just finished doing. If I need to do something else, just let me know.
And if anyone happens to know anything about a David Howard Smith born in or around Paterson, NJ, USA around 1957ish that had a father of the same name, I'd love to get in contact with you.
On 2 Jul 2016 at 23:45 GMT Debra Tillman wrote:
My maternal grandmother Ola Smith Adams of Wilcox county ga. Ola's parents were Dad- Wesley Daniels Smith of Dooly/Wilcox county ga. Mom Liddie Woodard Smith. Sorry no further information
On 11 Oct 2015 at 19:51 GMT Kitty (Cooper) Smith wrote:
Just add your name and ancestor information to the Smith Researcher page.
Then, at the top of your profile biography section, add Category: Smith Researchers inside double braces (that is two opening [[ and two closing), so that the category is added to your profile biography. Hope you join us soon! Kitty Cooper-1 Smith
On 11 Oct 2015 at 02:17 GMT Kitty (Cooper) Smith wrote:
On 10 Jun 2015 at 21:51 GMT Anne Smith wrote:
On 25 May 2015 at 02:29 GMT Shelley Smith wrote:
On 9 Apr 2015 at 17:36 GMT Anonymous Smith wrote:
On 3 Feb 2015 at 07:26 GMT Gail Smith wrote: