Surnames/tags: Austria Austrian_Roots Österreich
Austria Genealogy Resources
Beside from the digitizing project of the mormons (see Secondary Sources below), image copies of almost all parish registers are available online for free. They are not transcribed nor digitally indexed and therefore not easily searchable, but with birth/marriage/death place and a rough estimation of the date one can get a copy of the original parish register entries very quick.
- these registers and books are mostly written in "Kurrent", an old form of german handwriting. If you need help transcribing them, you may ask in the G2G Forum. Providing a link to the image in question and proper tagging will help both sides a lot!
- due to the linguistic and cultural characteristics of the german language, transcribed and indexed data from the digitizing project of the mormons may be incorrect (names, confessions, etc.). Have a look in the original sources and check the spelling and consistency of data, especially if you got stuck on an ancestor. Within the original (non-transcribed) sources, there may also be more data available (godparents, house numbers, place of origins, etc.).
The main source is
which contains scans of the pages of the baptismal, wedding and death records. The sources are divided according to confession (Roman-catholic Church, Evangelical Church of the Helvetic Confession, Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession, Greek Orthodox) and geographical regions (dioceses), with the dioceses corresponding to today's geographical status.
Although not primarily for Austria, there are also some resources from surrounding dioceses or dioceses of the former Crown Lands of the Habsburg Monarchy:
- see subpage Czech Roots (Bohemia, Moravia)
- Matricula (Germany - Dioceses of Hildesheim, Magdeburg, Münster, Passau)
- Matricula (Poland - Breslau/Wroclaw)
- Matricula (Slovenia - Nadškofija Maribor)
- Matricula (Serbia - Subotica/Суботица)
- Archive of Saxony (Bukovina, 1774-1918 a part of the austrian crown land of Galicia)
- FamilySearch database, Births and Baptisms: Österreich Geburten und Taufen, 1651-1940
- FamilySearch database, Marriages: Österreich Heiraten, 1722-1898
- FamilySearch database, Deaths and Burials: Österreich Beerdigungen, 1768-1918
- Familia Austria (covering Austria and its Crown Lands of the Habsburg Monarchy in general, has also searchable databases of World War I & II Casualty lists and persons published in newspaper articles). Some articles are in german language only.
- GenTeam (free genealogical database, over 15 million names, database of austrian town and village names (former and today ones, in various languages). Creating a (free) account is necessary to get access)
- ANNO (AustriaN Newspaper Online): Historical Austrian newspapers and magazines can be browsed, read and searched for online. FAQ and help pages are available. Hint: search for the surname you're researching.
- Vorarlberger Sippen- und Familienbücher (Vorarlberg)
- Bukovina-Society (Bukovina, 1774-1918 part of the Austrian crown land of Galicia and Lodomeria)
- Guidelines for family research in the holdings of the Bukovina-Institute (Bukovina, 1774-1918 part of the Austrian crown land of Galicia and Lodomeria; german-only)
- "Friends of the Bukowina Society" (Bukovina, 1774-1918 part of the Austrian crown land of Galicia and Lodomeria)
- Doris - Digital Upper Austrian Space Information System
Upper Austria: DORIS
- Old land register ( 1790-93 created, original and digital in the State Archives): Judicial district, manuscript no., Old volume no., Old page no., Image no. the digital version, rustic version no., Parish, town, house number, owner, farm name, fair ownership, hope.
- Josephinian diary ( 1787, original in the State Archives): Quarter, manuscript no., Tax community ( = Cadastral community), extract no. (contains all the reasons that belonged to an estate), parish, town, house number, owner, farm name.
- Theresian Gültbuch ( 1750, created in the Innviertel 1780, original and partly digital in the State Archives): Manuscript no., Manuscript part no., Page, picture no. the digital version, district, parish, town, house number, owner, profession, court name, landlord, office, fairness, hope.
For goods in the "Innviertel" only:
- Court investment book (1760; Microfilm in the State Archives): Regional court, lower jurisdiction, office / obmannschaft / Hofmark, manuscript no., Page, number, town, owner, profession, court name, fair ownership, Hoffuß
- Goods description ( 1752; Microfilm in the State Archives): Manuscript number, page, number, town, owner, farm name, fair ownership, hope.
It can be used finding Faith community records (Glaubensgemeinschaften) that are not included on Matricula Online. The URL for the faith communities is https://wo.doris.at/weboffice/synserver?project=weboffice&client=core&user=guest&view=hh - the 'Bilt' number is important to include with the sourcing. It is more difficult to use than Matricula but produces excellent results.
Death registers often have a column titled "Versehen". This specifies whether a person has been administered with the sacrament of death.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Kurrent", Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Kurrent
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Catholic Church," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Catholic_Church&oldid=1005561404 .
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Reformed Church in Austria," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Reformed_Church_in_Austria&oldid=918356388 .
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Austria," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Evangelical_Church_of_the_Augsburg_Confession_in_Austria&oldid=1002011670 .
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Greek Orthodox Church," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Greek_Orthodox_Church&oldid=1002478879 .
- ↑ Freiburger Diözesan-Archiv, 129. Band, (Dritte Folge, Einundsechzigster Band, 2009), Seite 93, Fußnote 227, Verlag Herder Freiburg.
- Login to request to the join the Trusted List so that you can edit and add images.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Jochen Oberreiter and Jon Czarowitz. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)