Location: Southport, Queensland, Australia
Surnames/tags: Cemeteries Queensland
Southport General Cemetery
Southport General Cemetery is in Queen Street, Southport. Queen Street was the original road to Southport.
GPS: 27 58.19332, 153 23.84033
- The City of Gold Coast website page about this cemetery. The Council figures as at 2009 were that there were 4957 burials and 127 ashes internments.
- See the Find-a-Grave page for Southport General Cemetery. This has 6185 entries as at 7 January 2019.
- Billion Graves has 1379 entries. See the Billion Graves page for Southport General Cemetery.
About Southport General Cemetery
For monumental burials there are General, infant, Jewish, Islamic, Orthodox and vault sections. There is an ashes rose garden.
The earliest known interment was that of a male pensioner known as Joab who was killed by lightning in 1878. Some of the earliest recorded graves pre-date 1880, this suggests that the area had been an unofficial burial ground for early European settlers. These graves are mostly to be found in section three of the cemetery. Early graves were probably marked by wooden crosses and surrounds, which have since disappeared. The earliest recorded undertaker was Robert Tennant Johnston.
Although the majority of inscriptions are in the English language, the epitaph of Albert Hermann Gross (M03/65) is in German.
Read more about the history of the cemetery on the City of Gold Coast Council page.
Notable interments will be listed here.
Cemetery "to do" list
Assistance is needed for: -
- photographing headstones and memorials
- tagging photos of headstones and memorials with the cemetery space name
- transcribing memorials
- creating profiles for those interred or memorialised at Southport General Cemetery (some listed in the table and not yet created) and linking them to the wider tree
- categorising existing profiles of those interred at Southport General Cemetery to ensure they appear under the cemetery category
- adding profiles and information to the sortable table of interments
- checking the table for missing information and/or errors
- re-checking the table periodically for new or amended information
Currently in the table there are:
- Login to edit this profile and add images.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)